new book: "Tools for Radical Democracy: How to Organize for Power in Your Community"

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 24 08:49:02 CST 2008

[ed: congratulations to Joan and Paul on the release of their book. They
have offered to send a free copy to someone who will review the book for
COMM-ORG. Please contact me at randy at comm-org.wisc.edu if you are
interested.]

From: joanminieri at aol.com

Greetings…We wanted to let you know about our new book, Tools for
Radical Democracy: How to Organize for Power in Your Community
(Jossey-Bass, July 2007). The book is a tool not only for community
organizers and leaders, but is being used in university settings by
professors teaching organizing, advocacy, and policymaking. It’s for
students and others who are interested in social change or engaged in
progressive activism, as well as for consultants helping organizations
address social and political issues.
Tools for Radical Democracy explains in straightforward language how to
engage people in the political process and run campaigns that achieve
concrete results. Throughout the book, we tell the story of Community
Voices Heard (CVH) - the award-winning economic justice organization in
New York City that we co-founded with the late Gail Aska. We provide
worksheets and training exercises readers can use in their own efforts.
We have received enthusiastic feedback about the book’s thoroughness and
accessibility. Writing in the New York Amsterdam News, Zita Allen called
it, “…an easy-to-understand how-to guide for building community power.
Tools For Radical Democracy, is an asset in the toolkit of change agents
everywhere.” Nat Williams, Executive Director of the Hill Snowdon
Foundation has commented, “This book is ‘the secret’ for building
collective power for long-term social change.”

The book is available for purchase through our website
(www.toolsforradicaldemocracy.com); through major booksellers; from
local, independent bookstores; or at bulk-rates from the publisher
(specialsales at wiley.com).
Thanks very much and of course, we welcome your feedback!!

Joan Minieri and Paul Getsos