job: youth organizer, Brooklyn, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 16 09:19:30 CST 2008

From: Ilana Berger <ilanalee at hotmail.com>

YOUTH ORGANIZer Families United for Racial and Economic Equality,
Brooklyn, NY
FUREE is looking for a Youth Organizer to support our growing Youth
Organizing Project. We are looking for a dedicated, passionate, person
with youth organizing experience who is looking to learn and grow as an
organizer and leader, and who is looking for the opportunity to work in
a growing organization of local and national prominence doing cutting
edge racial and economic justice organizing. Our campaigns include:
organizing against gentrification and for community-led development,
winning better wages and working conditions for family day care
providers, building the power of young people of color to organize for
change in their communities, and a voter engagement project in
low-income and working class communities of color.
Who we are: FUREE is a multi-racial, mutli-generational membership
organization in Brooklyn, New York. FUREE is organizing to build a
strong base of low-income families to build power to change the system
so that all peoples’ work is valued and everyone has the right and
economic means to decide and live out their own destinies. Our guiding
principle is that the people who are directly impacted by the policies
we are seeking to change should lead the organization.
Responsibilities include: 1) Membership Recruitment and Leadership
Development: FUREE believes that our members should lead the
organization, and should be given training and support in order to do
the best possible work. Organizers are required to meet weekly,
quarterly and annual recruitment and leadership development goals,
through identifying potential and emerging leaders from our membership,
and creating leadership development plans for current and potential leaders.
2) Campaign Strategy, Research and Development: Work with campaign
organizing committees to plan short and long term campaign goals and
coordinate meetings, events and actions.
3) Strategic Ally Work: Strengthen current and introduce new
collaborations with ally organizations and individuals to increase our
ability to build power for our members and to build a broader racial and
economic justice movement.
4) Political Education: Work with FUREE staff and leaders to build and
integrate a deeper political vision into our on-the-ground organizing
and to educate members about the political context of FUREE’s campaigns.
Desired Qualifications:

· At least one year of youth organizing experience,

· Demonstrated capacity to effectively carry out the above responsibilities

· A strong commitment racial and economic justice and to FUREE's mission

· Ability to communicate, motivate and listen

· Ability to work evenings/weekends as necessary

· Computer literate particularly Microsoft Office and data basing
applications

· Speaking Spanish a STRONG plus

People of color, immigrants, child care providers, and residents of
Brooklyn -especially Fort Greene, Downtown Brooklyn and
Bedford-Stuyvesant -are strongly encouraged to apply. FUREE is a
positive and inclusive women-led work environment.

Competitive salary DOE & full benefits. Great opportunities for growth,
development and leadership.
To respond: Send resume and a cover letter to info at furee.org or mail to
81 Willoughby Street #701 Brooklyn, NY 11201. Please type “Youth
Organizer Search” in the subject heading. In your cover letter, specify
why you are interested in this particular job with FUREE. We will
respond only to eligible applicants.