job: youth organizer, Chicago, with salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 13 09:21:16 CST 2008

From: "Melissa Spatz" <womenandgirlscan at gmail.com>

The Women & Girls Collective Action Network is hiring a full time youth
organizer to work with Females United for Action (FUFA).  FUFA is a
citywide young women's organizing coalition that is addressing issues of
media justice and violence against women & girls.  Below is the full
announcement:

OVERVIEW

The Women & Girls Collective Action Network is a center for
consciousness-raising, training, dialogue and action around issues that
matter to women and girls. We strengthen connections across communities
to promote collective action. We provide resources and support to create
safe spaces for girls and women to develop as leaders, learn from one
another, and take action to promote social justice.

     Women & Girls CAN has two initiatives: a Community Accountability
Project, that works to develop innovative strategies to end violence
against women and girls; and Females United for Action (FUFA), a
citywide young women's coalition that is addressing issues of violence
against women and media justice.  Information about all of our work is
available on our website, at www.womenandgirlscan.org.

     We are seeking a full time organizer to work with FUFA.

MORE ABOUT FEMALES UNITED FOR ACTION

     FUFA is, in the words of the young women who formed it, "a
coalition of young women leaders that is dedicated to educate not only
ourselves, but others as well, on issues that affect women and girls. We
organize to bring attention to the issues and take action to address
them.  FUFA is formed by girls and young women from all over the city of
Chicago, from all backgrounds & nationalities, ranging from 12 years of
age & up."  FUFA brings together organizational partners and individual
young women.

     FUFA's model combines analysis and action.  FUFA members are most
concerned with the issue of violence against women and girls, and are
organizing to address the root causes of violence.  Working together,
FUFA developed the following problem statement, which guides our work:
"FUFA is concerned about the way that women and girls are portrayed in
the media.  We feel that there are too many negative images of women and
girls, and that these images are tied to sexual exploitation and
violence against women.  We understand that society creates the
structure in which these forms of violence take place, and that the
media has a large role in that process.  We recognize that too many
people accept media power and media images without challenging them, and
that the media is not held responsible for its actions.  FUFA has
identified 3 issues in response:

1.     To create more positive images of women in the media

2.     To educate the public about these problems, encouraging people to
think and act about the media

3.     To make media more responsible for the images it puts out

FUFA's work has included:

§         A successful campaign to hold the radio station La Ley
accountability for its offensive "25 pegaditas" campaign

§         Testifying before the Federal Communications Commission on
media ownership and media portrayals of young women of color

§         Working with a group of young men to develop a traveling photo
exhibit, to show positive images of men and owmen that do not appear in
mainstream media.

§         Public education through press outreach, spoken word events,
conferences, workshops and presentations citywide

§         Development of a "Media Justice Training Institute", with
opportunities for youth to learn about media ownership, creating media,
how media portrays marginalized communities, and how to take action.

JOB DESCRIPTION: YOUTH ORGANIZER FOR FEMALES UNITED FOR ACTION

Job Responsibilities:

§         Organizing and coordinating monthly Action Team meetings and
trainings, smaller planning meetings, and public events, in keeping with
the FUFA model of analysis and action

§         Engaging in organizing campaigns around FUFA's goal of
fighting violence against women.  Developing organizing campaigns around
media justice as it relates to violence against women, including press
work, research, citywide events and coordinated actions.

§         Conducting outreach to schools and potential partner
organizations, and community-building for current FUFA member
organizations and individuals

§         Encouraging youth to build leadership skills, through training
and action.  Conducting trainings and making arrangements for outside
trainers and FUFA members around leadership skills, identity and social
justice analysis.

§         Developing communications for FUFA, including newsletter
articles & coordinating of listserv

§         Coordinating speaking opportunities for FUFA; helping FUFA
members make arrangements and prepare to speak at events and provide
trainings for other groups

§         Continuing to build our partnership with young men to dialogue
about media and gender, & take collective action, including coordinating
events around the Alternative Windows photo exhibit

§         Partnering with other nonprofits; maintaining relationships
with other groups

§         Supervising and assisting FUFA interns on concrete projects,
including research and presentations

Skills:

§         Non-judgmental and open attitude.  Must be open to working on
an equal level with people without regard to differences based on race,
sexuality, ability or age.

§         Good communication skills

§         Willingness to have young people take the lead.  FUFA is a
youth-driven project, and we are looking for someone to work in
partnership with young people.  The candidate must be ready to help
motivate youth, while also creating systems of accountability.

§         Flexibility and willingness to change in response to youth
needs and changes in the field of media justice

§         Understanding and analysis of the systemic causes of violence
against women and girls

§         Ability to challenge historical problems and traditional
solutions around violence against women and media, and work toward
finding creative and just solutions.

§         Excellent planning and organizational skills and ability to
work as part of a team

§         Excellent writing, public speaking and facilitation skills

§         Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and
weekends.

§         Commitment to and passion for social justice and the mission
of Females United for Action.

§         Previous organizing experience and experience working with
youth strongly recommended

§         Background in media justice is helpful

§         Ability to speak Spanish and access to a reliable car are helpful

Hours and salary: This is a full time position, with a salary of $28,000
- $32,000 depending on experience.  While this is designed as a full
time position, we are open to considering applicants who apply as a team
for job-sharing.    We offer training and professional development
opportunities, a supportive work environment, and a generous benefits
package.

How to apply: Please send your resume & cover letter to
fufahiring at gmail.com, or by mail to Melissa Spatz, Director of Women &
Girls CAN, 11 E. Adams, suite 902, Chicago, IL 60603.  The deadline for
applications is March 3, 2008.

Women & Girls CAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not
discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, age, ethnicity,
national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus,
disability, or marital status.

--
Melissa Spatz, Director
Women & Girls CAN