query: training materials for parent organizing for school change

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 10 18:00:27 CST 2008

[ed:  thanks to Betty and Kathy for replying to Naomi's query.]
[ed:  I have added BPON and People for Education from the previous post
to the COMM-ORG Education Organizing page, http://comm-org.wisc.edu/ed.htm]

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bgrobinson at verizon.net>

Apologies if someone posted this already, but I have been away.  The
best materials I have seen and which I have used are from the Cross
Cities Campaign for Urban School Reform (Chicago).  Sadly they closed
their doors a year or so ago and their website is down.  I am sure their
curriculum is still around.  They used to hold training sessions for
parents in urban school districts.  The materials are a combination of
thought-provoking discussions and exercises including organizing skills
-- like picking an issue, developing tactics, urban school reform, using
a "handle" to plan your campaign, etc.

Betty Robinson
Baltimore