Progressive Technology Project - Registration open for 2008 Programs

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 10 17:50:43 CST 2008

From: "Arif Mamdani" <info at progressivetech.org>

Dear Colleague,

Registration for Progressive Technology Project’s 2008 Programs is now open.

In 2008, we’re offering a number of new programs to help your
organization use technology to enhance your organizing:

April 2-4, 2008

Community Organizing Database and Planning

Minneapolis, MN

April 28-May 1, 2008

Voter Tech Training

Minneapolis, MN

June 9 – 12, 2008

TechCamp (English)

Saint Paul, MN

July 29 – 31, 2008

Community Organizing Communications

Minneapolis, MN

August 25 – 28 2008

TechCamp (Spanish)

To be determined

Scholarship are available. See www.progressivetech.org for more info.

The Community Organizing and Technology Institute – COaTI – is our core
training program. For the last four years, we’ve run COaTI around the
country working with groups like yours to deepen each participant’s
ability to:

* integrate technology into their everyday work,
* understand the strategic application of technology, and
* understand what’s possible with particular technologies and what it
takes to use them.

For the first time, we’re offering two COaTI open-enrollment training
sessions:

* one focused on database use, technology assessment, planning, and
project management, and
* a second COaTI focused on communications technologies encompassing
tools like websites, content management systems, email communications,
audio and video editing, and graphics and graphic design.

If your organization is grappling with problems arising from inadequate
technology, then you should send some people to these trainings. To make
it easier to attend, we’re offering them as independent trainings. To
get the most benefit, attend both.

This year many of you will be engaged in civic engagement work. To help
your organization build the skills you need to successfully manage your
voter data, we’re creating a new Basic Voter Data Skills training. If
you’re planning a civic engagement project, you’re probably well aware
of the importance of managing your voter data (if you are wondering how
others do it, check out the new online Voter TechKit we’ve put together.
You can view it on our web site or order the book for offline
reference.) This training is for that special someone in your
organization who will be charged with getting the voter data in and out
of your system. If you don’t have someone who’s ready for the challenge,
this is the training that will bring them up to speed.

We’re continuing to offer our popular TechCamp program. TechCamp is our
3 day basic technology skills “boot camp” for community organizers.
TechCamp teaches the basic technology skills every organizer needs to
know, and covers them at a basic level to help your staff who need some
training to get to a basic level of computer comfort and literacy. This
year, we’re offering two TechCamps, one in English, and one conducted in
Spanish.

We know that cost is an important issue for all of us. The tuition we’re
charging for these programs is below the cost of labor, but we’ll waive
it for community-led organizing groups with whom we share a funder. If
you’re interested in lowering your housing costs, let us know. We’ll be
locating social justice movement supporters who will volunteer to host
your staff member while they are at the training session.

The last thing I want to share with you is the Power On Network. We’ve
learned that the smartest use of technology is often already being used
somewhere among the multitude of community organizations that we
encounter. It’s PTP’s job to find it and share it. The Power on Network
does just that.

The Power on Network is a new network made up of your peers: organizers
from around the country coming together through a variety of means to
share information and resources on how to make technology serve the
needs of organizing. This year, the Network will be sponsoring a number
of new initiatives including online web-conferences on topics like voter
data management, website analytics, and content management systems.
Additionally, the Network will be releasing a new online environment
that features a “tech skills” directory of community organizers. Watch
your email box for more information on the Power on Network, or visit
our website to join.

Enclosed is our brochure which contains more information on these
programs and on PTP in general. For more information or to register for
any of our programs, head to our website at www.progressivetech.org. If
we can be of any assistance in helping you determine which of our
programs can best meet your technology training needs, please don’t
hesitate to get in touch.

In solidarity,
Arif Mamdani
Capacity Building Program Director

amamdani at progressivetech.org
612.724.2600 ext 12

PS We expect these trainings to fill quickly, so don’t risk missing out
by putting this letter aside and forgetting to sign up. Register today
at www.progressivetech.org.

PTP Logo