candidates and community organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 9 10:01:33 CST 2008

[ed:  thanks to David for continuing the discussion.]

From: "David Koppisch" <DavidK at RHD.ORG>

The Democratic Primary does raise, for me, very important questions
about institution-based organizing vs. movements centered around a
charismatic individual. Clinton's edge so far clearly has much to do
with the fact that she is connected to, has been part of, "institutions"
(e.g. the Democratic party and unions historically aligned with the
party, etc.) - hence her polling strength with older people and working
class people. Obama's support comes largely from the unaffiliated (more
educated, higher income and those registered as "independents". If
Clinton prevails it will be due largely to the fact that organized
power-institutions usually prevail over movements centered around a
charismatic leader. Not always, of course. In fact, in the recent
mayoral race here in Philadelphia, a candidate won with the support of
the unaffiliated and trounced the organized party and union structures.
So, it happens, but this is rare. In my organizing work I often get
frustrated with movement types and unaffiliated liberals who distrust
the existing organized institutions (understandably so) yet
underestimate their importance in building and maintainining power and
seem uninterested or unable to build alternative power structures. They
believe naively that a charismatic leader or candidate (with strong
"netroots" support) who is "right" should be able to sweep away the
organized power of long-standing institutions or political structures. I
fear that if Obama fails, such unaffiliated liberals will be scratching
their heads again and not learn the lesson: social change will not
happen without the long-term work of organizing powerful sustainable
democratic institutions. I fear that young voters -- not experienced in
the long-term work of building organizations that inevitably involves
losses along the way -- will get turned off again because their
candidate didn't win in their first try. I predict folks will all go
back to their corners and sulk for another 4 years and then repeat the
same exercise in frustration. I hope I am wrong. I hope, that whatever
the outcome (and I am one of those strange people who'd be happy with
either Democratic candidate) that those of us who call themselves
liberals or leftists or as committed to social change will engage in a
conversation about, then in the actual work of, building organized power
for the long haul, as opposed to sitting around waiting for a savior.