query: training materials for parent organizing for school change

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 9 09:55:35 CST 2008

[ed:  thanks to Barbara and Chris  for replying to Naomi's query.]

From: Bjbowen6 at aol.com

Naomi,

You might try contacting Leigh Dingerson at the Center for Community
Change. Her email is ldingerson at communitychange.org and you can google
for the phone number there.  She has been working with groups across the
country re:  education and school issues and has produced some materials.

Good luck!

Best,  Barbara Bowen

Barbara Bowen, National Coordinator
The Organizers' Forum--West
P.O. Box 402
6 Willow Avenue
Stinson Beach, CA 94970
U.S.A.
(415) 868-0866 office
(415) 868-2925 fax
(415) 509-1927 cell
emails: bjbowen6 at aol.com
website: www.organizersforum.org

*******************************

From: "Chris Cavanagh" <story at web.ca>

i recommend having a look at People for Education here in Toronto.
They've been quite successful in keeping public attention on education
reform. The E.D./Founder Annie Kidder is a well-recognized
activist/critic often quoted/featured in the mass media. I've always
wanted to look more closely at their curricula but have yet to find the
time.  Most of my activist efforts are in sectors other than education.
But i'm curious about what's behind their success vis a vis the way that
they "engage.. people to become active".

good luck

peace

chris