Hunter College Survey of Public Participation Geographic Information Systems

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 8 08:34:04 CST 2008

From: "Hunter College PPGIS" <hunterppgis at gmail.com>

Dear Colleagues:

We have created a short e-survey designed to understand the use and
effectiveness of Geographic Information Systems that support public
participation, an emerging field of study known as PPGIS (Public
Participation Geographic Information Systems). This e-survey is part of
research conducted by faculty and students at Hunter College of the City
University of New York (Hunter).

Our research seeks to examine how PPGIS is applied in a variety of
contexts to support and facilitate public participation. One of our main
goals in this research is to understand who employs this technology and
the degree to which it fosters citizen involvement in public processes
and deliberations.

Members of the community development and community organizing fields,
especially those who work with GIS or engage in community mapping and
data collection processes, may find this survey relevant, as your
technology.  It can be completed anonymously, and should take about 10
minutes to complete. We are hosting the survey through SurveyMonkey.com,
a well-known online data collection service. Of course, your
participation is completely voluntary.

The link to this survey is:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=x_2ftvh8ONxhKD581EAJFyHA_3d_3d

Kindly forward this message to your colleagues as appropriate.

We thank you, in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Dr. Laxmi Ramasubramanian
Associate Professor
Hunter College, Department of Urban Affairs and Planning
695 Park Avenue, 1616A HW
New York, NY 10065
Phone: 212-772-5594
Email: laxmi at hunter.cuny.edu

Richard Amanna
Graduate Research Assistant
Hunter College, Department of Urban Affairs and Planning
Email: Richard.amanna at gmail.com