2008 Chicago Community Organizing Awards Request for Nominations

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 8 08:31:33 CST 2008

From: "J Pinzino" <Jpinzino at woodsfund.org>

February 2008

Dear Friends of Organizing,

We are pleased to announce the 2008 Community Organizing Awards. The
award celebration will take place on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at the
Ballroom of the School of the Art Institute.

There will be two awards given this year. The Community Organizing Award
will be given to an organization demonstrating excellence in community
organizing. The Chicago Community Trust Collaboration Award will
recognize the efforts of a collaboration that uses community organizing
as a successful strategy to achieve policy change. Each award will
include a $50,000 unrestricted grant. Nomination criteria for both
awards can be obtained by sending an e-mail to jpinzino at woodsfund.org.

The awards are sponsored by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur
Foundation, Wieboldt Foundation, Woods Fund of Chicago and The Chicago
Community Trust. The Collaboration Award is made possible by a generous
grant from The Chicago Community Trust. In giving these awards, we aim
to recognize excellent and effective community organizing and
collaborative efforts in the Chicago metropolitan area. We also hope to
stimulate more support for community organizing and to increase public
understanding of the vital contribution made by community organizing
groups in neighborhoods and the broader community.

We invite you to nominate your own or another organization for the
Community Organizing Award. We also encourage you to nominate community
organizing collaborations. If you nominate an organization or a
collaboration with which you’re not directly involved, we advise that
you consult with its staff and leadership. The deadline for submission
of nominations is Monday, March 17, 2008. If you have any questions
regarding the awards please call Jeff Pinzino at the Woods Fund of
Chicago at 312-782-2698 ext 103, or e-mail to: jpinzino at woodsfund.org.

Sincerely,

Terry Mazany

The Chicago Community Trust