candidates and community organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:25:29 CST 2008

From: "Peter Dreier" <dreier at oxy.edu>

In California,  Hillary Clinton's lead over Barack Obama is narrowing.
The Los Angeles Times today even says the primary is now dead even.  The
same is true in other states where Clinton was leading, but where now
the race is very close. Although some of Obama's momentum no doubt comes
from voters watching the debates and from high-profile endorsements
(like Ted Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, Oprah Winfrey, and, yesterday,
Maria Shriver), it is also due, in large measure, to Obama's grassroots
campaign, which has recruited  organizers from community groups, enviro
groups, unions, and other activist organizations. They, in turn, have
enlisted tens of thousands of volunteers and trained them in the skills
of community organizing. Kelly Candaele and I examine this phenomenon in
our article, "The Year of the Organizer," in The American Prospect:
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=the_year_of_the_organizer

Obama was a community organizer in Chicago for three years.  Hillary
Clinton wrote her senior thesis at Wellesley in 1969 on the legendary
organizer, Saul Alinsky, even interviewing him several times.  John
Edwards spend much of the past two years working with ACORN and labor
unions to promote campaigns to raise state minimum wages and adopt local
living wage laws. The mainstream media still doesn't understand how to
report on grassroots community organizing, and the growing effectiveness
and sophistication of the nation's community organizing groups.
Hopefully, this election year will raise the visibility of community
organizing and even inspire more young people to think about organizing
as a career.  Just think what it would mean to have a former community
organizer in the White House. As we write in our American Prospect
article: "Obama knows that he will have to find balance between working
inside the Beltway and encouraging Americans to organize and mobilize to
battle powerful corporate interests and congressional in-fighting. But
if Obama wants to be a champion of change, he'll need to redefine the
role of president as organizer-in-chief."

Peter

_____________________________________
Peter Dreier
Dr. E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics
Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Program
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone: (323) 259-2913
FAX: (323) 259-2734

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great
moral crises maintain their neutrality" - Dante