New report on NPO collaboration

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 3 11:55:41 CST 2008

From: "Joan Roberts" <joan at joanroberts.com>

Hi all:

I am happy to report that my colleagues and I completed a year long research
project on non-profit inter-agency service collaborations exploring
collaboration's potential to enhance NPO capacity and effectiveness.

The project examined collaborations among NPO agencies that directly or
indirectly enhance service delivery. This includes collaborations to enhance
organizational operations, and collaborations to enhance service planning
and delivery. Examples of such collaborations include shared administration,
budgets, or administrative staff; shared infrastructure such as co-location;
joint service planning, or joint program delivery such as single intake and
information-sharing. The project investigated the characteristics of service
delivery collaborations in Toronto, critical success factors and barriers,
and similarity of NPO collaborations with public sector and business sector
collaborations.

The project used multiple methods; literature searches, key informant
interviews, case studies, action research and a roundtable table process to
include the ideas, views and concerns of local funders, government
officials, capacity builders and service providers. Although one report is
Toronto centric, literature and policy searches scanned the English speaking
world.

The report can be downloaded from the Wellesley Institute website
http://wellesleyinstitute.com/interagency-service-collaboration-non-profit-s
ector or www.joanroberts.com. Please feel free to distribute to your
colleagues and contacts.

Cheers