community calendar for organizers

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 3 11:47:02 CST 2008

From: Windy Cooler-Stith <windy_coolerstith at yahoo.com>

Hi Co-listers,

I’m building a website for a new project. I would like to include a
nationwide “community calendar” for organizers and, linked to that,
something of a directory of the organizing universe as seen through its
activities and meetings and members. If you have a project you would
like to list on either, please send me an email at WCStith at Gmail.com. If
you could describe your project briefly, that would be very helpful. I
assume I am going to receive a lot of response to this, so please give
me time to reply.

The website is for Services for Inspired Propinquity (SIP). SIP provides
community and union organizers with intense one on one skills training,
direct resource support (research, grant writing, power analysis, etc)
and weekly emotional support for a minimum period of one year, something
like Life Coaching, Distance Learning, and very specific Virtual
Assistance for leftist organizers. It is a very personal service and
what is needed will vary from person to person.

SIP has two distinct client bases.

One is the professional organizer or a sponsoring progressive, left
leaning non-profit with a professional organizer or community leader
they are devoted to mentoring.

The other is the volunteer organizer or new social entrepreneur looking
for aid for herself.

Over time I would like to build the SIP website into a helpful community
building tool in and of itself.

Thanks and Best,
Windy