organizing internships

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 3 10:06:16 CST 2008

From: e-action at virginia-organizing.org

703 Concord Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 984-4655 • (434) 984-2803 fax
www.virginia-organizing.org

Dear Randy,

Do you want to…

Change the course of history?

Make sure Virginians are more informed voters?

(and get PAID doing it?)
Virginia is a "BATTLEGROUND STATE" in the 2008 elections!
You can have an impact!

Join Virginia Organizing Project's
Summer 2008 Civic Engagement Project

We are currently recruiting 50 interns to work in teams with local
leaders for a project of intensive voter
canvassing in key districts across the state of Virginia, leading up to
the 2008 national elections.

We will distribute Voter Guides, register voters and pass out flyers for
important statewide issue campaigns
such as health care, environmental issues and more.

Ideal candidates should be able to:

* work the duration of the project (May 19-July 25, 2008)
* work 40 hours per week
* function in a fast-paced working environment
* respond with flexibility to the needs of the project
* sustain work in 85 degree or higher temperatures
* walk or travel door-to-door for canvassing six hours a day
* drive to canvassing areas where needed (especially in rural areas)
* attend a three-day overnight training orientation on civic engagement
May 19-21, 2008
* be responsible, with a strong work ethic
* comfortably interact with diverse populations
* show enthusiasm for and commitment to community organizing!

More advanced applicants may qualify for a local leadership position
coordinating volunteers and must have management or supervisory
experience of some kind and knowledge of state or national politics.

To apply, log on to www.virginia-organizing.org, click on 2008 Summer
Internships (upper right on the web page) and print, fill out and mail
the application along with your resume to Virginia Organizing Project,
2008 Civic Engagement Project, 703 Concord Avenue, Charlottesville,
Virginia 23093. Call Joe Szakos at (434) 984-4665 ext. 222 for more
information.

VOP is a statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging
injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues
that affect the quality of their lives. VOP is a non-partisan
organization that encourages the participation of those who
traditionally have no or little voice in our society.