query: difference between coalitions and partnerships

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 16 09:13:03 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Warren for replying to Kevboy's query.]

From:
"Warren Nelson" <wnelson at nhsbaltimore.com>

A coalition is generally organized by a particular group and that group
generally runs the coalition and, coalitions are generally organized for
a particular purpose.  On the other hand, partnerships are generally
equal in their relationships and there is mutual agreement. For example,
here in Baltimore, MD there is a Coalition Against the Baltimore Gas &
Electric Rate Hike.  An organization organized the coalition to add
numbers and other organizations.  Whereas, Neighborhood Housing Services
of Baltimore has partnerships with banks, other housing organizations
and the city gov't itself.  Sometimes NHS works alone & sometimes they
work with partners.  There are things NHS does that the partners don't
do and referrals are made to the partner(s) and vice-versa.  Hope that's
helpful.

Warren