query: difference between coalitions and partnerships

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:37:32 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Tom,  Andy, and Pedro for replying to Kevboy's query.]

From: "Tom Wolff" <tom at tomwolff.com>

Hi
I have always felt that my colleague Arthur Himmelman  made a great
contribution to this question by defining networking, cooperation,
coordination and collaboration which I summarized a while ago in a
Newsletter- see link below. Hope it helps.
http://www.tomwolff.com/collaborative-solutions-newsletter-summer-05.htm
Tom

*********************

From:  "Andrew Mott" <andymott at communitylearningproject.org>

I guess that each of us uses the terminology in different ways.  For me, a
"coalition" is a group of organizations which have come together to have an
impact on policy.  They often have many members and the relationship among
them is quite loose.  A "partnership" typically is a tighter relationship
with formalized understandings among two or more partners, and the purpose
is to work together on a set of tasks, not to impact policy.

Andy Mott
Community Learning Project

From: MrPedro2124 at aol.com

Just to add to the discussion. For me, and the way I make the
distinction during organizing trainings is that Coalitions are political
entities, while partnerships are professional agreements. Most people
seem to grasp the difference then.

Pedro Rodriguez
PA Senior Action, Philadelphia