query: what seniors want from community center

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 28 13:45:23 CDT 2007

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with responses to Amy's
query.  A bit from me below.]

From: Amy Hubbard <amyshubbard at yahoo.com>

I was wondering if someone on comm-org has any advice for doing
evaluation with ethnically, racially, and linguistically diverse seniors
living in Section 8 housing.  I am working with a non-profit which runs
a senior center and the non-profit wants to find out why there isn't
more participation in the center by residents living in a nearby Section
8 apartment building.  A plurality of the residents speaks English and
after that the major language groups are Spanish and Russian.  There are
also speakers of Amharic, Vietnamese, and Chinese.

My biggest concern is how to engage the residents enough in the
evaluation so we are able to get a full understanding of their needs and
why they're not using the senior center.   Does anyone on the list have
experience in working with low-income seniors that they would like to
share?  In particular, tips for recruiting people for interviews or
focus groups but also just general advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Amy Hubbard

[ed:  Increasingly, to me, questions like Amy's sound more like
organizing challenges than research challenges. I have recently had the
honor of working with two community change efforts based in social
service nonprofits who are trying to make the switch to community
organizing, and it is quite that building relationships and balancing
power inequalities between community members and the organization are
the largest challenge. Certainly research can help here, but the basic
problem seems to be a lack of relationship between the community and the
organization.  And even finding out why there is not a stronger
relationship requires building a stronger relationship.  So even doing
the research requires first doing the organizing.  My book on research
methods for community change talks some about how to switch the balance
from emphasizing research over action to emphasizing research and then
looking at what research is helpful along the action path.  Is the goal
to get more seniors involved in the center, or to find out their goals
and then organize them to take over the center to meet their goals?  In
this particular case the supporting research in that process may not be
an "evaluation" so much as a needs and resources assessment--what do
community members want from the center and what can they contribute to
it?  So my next questions would be whether the senior center has or can
create a structure that puts power and a sense of ownership in the hands
of the seniors themselves.]