Summer 2007 Newsletter from Tom Wolff and Associates: assessment

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 6 11:58:56 CDT 2007

From: Tom Wolff & Associates <tom at tomwolff.com>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Welcome to the Summer 2007 Issue of the "Collaborative Solutions
Newsletter" from Tom Wolff & Associates. This issue addresses issues of
evaluation and documentation – “Assessing Our Progress and Celebrating
Our Success”.

We try to take the mystery and fear out of evaluation and make it not
only understandable and doable – but maybe even fun. The issue also
includes brand new Coalition Assessment instruments.

Newsletter issues are available online at www.tomwolff.com. You may find
that the web versions to be the easiest to read and download. A text
version can be found below.

We encourage you to distribute this information to your friends and
colleagues. You can subscribe for free or unsubscribe at the end of the
newsletter. Let us know what you think and what else you would like to
see in the Newsletter.

Thanks
Tom Wolff
Tom Wolff & Associates

Collaborative Solutions
A Newsletter from Tom Wolff & Associates
Contents of Summer 2007 Collaborative Solutions Newsletter:

In this issue:

Assessing Our Progress & Celebrating Our Success
Why does documentation and evaluation matter in collaborative solutions?
What kinds of questions can an evaluation help answer?
Community-based participatory evaluation
A framework for evaluation of coalitions
Community Story: a neighborhood organization
Levels of coalition assessment - tool
Community Story: national organization with multiple sites
Coalition Member Assessment - tool
Community Story: a small non-profit and two communities
Tools and Resources
Highlights from Tom Wolff & Associates
Assessing Our Progress & Celebrating Our Success
Why does documentation and evaluation matter in collaborative solutions?

The question, how we are doing? often comes up in community work
involving collaborative solutions. Sometimes a coalition’s funders
expect formal evaluations. At other times the question arises when a
member says, “Well, we have been meeting for months [or years] and what
have we accomplished? Is the community any better off?”
We do often think that funders are the driving force that impels us to
evaluate our coalition progress. However, if we look carefully we often
discover that our members (especially our grassroots members) are often
involved in a regular evaluation process. They vote with their feet by
attending or dropping out of our community efforts. They participate
when they perceive that the coalition is succeeding at creating change.
Most collaborations are motivated to engage in an evaluation process
because it is required for their funding. Someone on the outside has
decided for them that evaluation is a necessity. Yet successful
evaluations most often occur when the collaboration itself decides that
there are critical questions that must be answered, such as: After
having been at this for three years, are we getting anything done? Are
we being effective? Is the way that we are set up the most effective?
What do all of our members think about what we are doing? These kinds of
questions can motivate a collaboration’s steering committee and staff to
undertake an evaluation process with a high level of interest.
Assessing our progress and knowing whether we are succeeding is vitally
important to all of us. Yet we know that in most collaborative solution
processes very little evaluation or assessment occurs (Cashman and
Berkowitz, 2000). Coalitions may fail to evaluate their efforts for
several reasons: (1) They lack motivation and interest; (2) They lack
access to easy, usable tools for evaluating both the process and the
outcome of the collaborative efforts; (3) They fear what evaluators
might "find"; or (4) They fail to find appropriate evaluators and set up
effective, mutually respectful relationships with them--relationships in
which the data collected are actually useful.
So why do collaborations become engaged in evaluations? There are some
clear motivations: (1) They want to improve their work and getting
feedback is one proven way to accomplish that; (2) They want to record
and celebrate their successes; (3) They must report on their progress to
a funder, a board, or the community; (4) They are thinking of their
future and issues of sustainability, and a first step in ensuring
ongoing viability is assessment that tells the group which activities to
continue and which to jettison (
http://www.tomwolff.com/collaborative-solutions-newsletter-inaugural-issue.html).
(CADCA, 2006 see Resources).
What kinds of questions can an evaluation help answer?

What activities took place? A process evaluation focuses on day-to-day
activities. Methodologies include activity logs, surveys, and
interviews. Materials to track can include in-house developments,
outside meetings, communications received, community participation, and
media coverage. Surveys can rate the importance and feasibility of goals
and the satisfaction of members. Process evaluation can also analyze
critical events in the development of the collaboration. Process
evaluation helps a coalition see the strengths and weaknesses of its
basic structure and functions.

What was accomplished? An outcome evaluation focuses on accomplishments.
It can include changes in the community (the number and type of shifts
in policies or practices) as well as the development of new services. It
can also involve surveys of self-reported behavior changes, rating the
significance of outcomes achieved. The number of objectives met over
time is a useful evaluation tool.

What were the long-term effects? An impact evaluation focuses on the
ultimate impacts that the collaboration is having on the community, over
and above specific outcomes. The focus here is on statistical indicators
of population-level outcomes. For example, a teen pregnancy
collaboration might focus on the pregnancy rate for its community.
Community-based participatory evaluation

Once the results have been collected and reports written, the
collaboration must actively disseminate the findings to the community so
that its members can look at the data, decide what changes are necessary
the collaboration’s activities in response to the results found in the
evaluation.

In order to satisfy the coalition’s interests, the evaluations must be
both methodologically sound and intimately involved with the
organization. Too often our evaluation processes and instruments are
developed and implemented by outside evaluators. Coalition members only
see the information many months or even years after it is collected,
when final reports are prepared for the funder.

In collaborative solutions processes, we strongly advocate for close
working relationships between the evaluators, the coalition staff, and
the community. You cannot learn from evaluation results that are not fed
back to you regularly. Nor can you celebrate successes in a timely
manner. You cannot develop a sustainability plan unless all coalition
members have access to evaluation information. So when we work in
collaborative situation we not only have to develop appropriate
evaluation mechanisms, we have to develop whole new ways for the
community to engage in the process.
A framework for evaluation of coalitions

Evaluation of coalitions is complex. The field and the literature are
evolving and new research documentation systems and tools emerge on a
regular basis. There are questions about what to measure and how to
measure the process and the various levels of outcomes (Wolff, T. A
Practical Approach to Evaluating Coalitions
http://www.tomwolff.com/resources/backer.pdf)

One of the best models for evaluating coalitions comes from the Work
Group for Community Health and Development at the University of Kansas
(http://communityhealth.ku.edu/). Based on the Institute of Medicine’s
framework for collaborative public health action in communities (2003),
this evaluation model is described below. It’s easy to see that this
model would apply not just to the coalition-building work of
organizations but also to other systems-change agendas.

A framework for collaborative public health action in communities.

(Source: CDC, 2002; Fawcett et al., 2000; Institute of Medicine,
National Academy of Sciences, 2003.)

The model for participatory evaluation developed by Fawcett and Schultz
(2007) is made easier through customized Internet-based Workstations
that include online supports for documenting and analyzing
accomplishments, graphing, and reporting. It provides clear pathways for
understanding the change processes involved in collaborative solutions,
and therefore for understanding the evaluation questions that follow. In
most efforts that involve collaborative solutions, we are working with
multiple factors that produce multiple and interrelated outcomes. No
single intervention--no one program or policy change targeting one
behavior--is likely to improve population-level outcomes. Often there
are long time delays between a collaborative’s actions and the resulting
widespread behavior change. So it is difficult to assess whether any
effort, or combination of efforts, is bringing about change. And of
course the most important thing we want to know is whether our efforts
are producing change.
With the KU Work Group’s participatory evaluation model (Fawcett, et
al., 1995; 2000; 2003; 2004), groups document new programs, policies,
and practices, along with the community and systems changes that are the
critical components of the coalition effort. Programs, policies, and
practices—changes in communities and systems-- are central to this
model. If we think about it, these three really do capture the
intermediary changes that most of us see along the path to community
change. Say we are looking to reduce the level of smoking in a given
community. Before we can measure the population-level reduction in
smoking, we can document that we've put smoking-cessation classes in
place, smoking-prevention programs in the schools, policies on smoking
cessation in workplaces, and policies to ban smoking in restaurants. We
can also document changes in smoking behavior (practices) in multiple
settings (schools, work, entertainment). Documentation of these types
give us an excellent intermediary way to measure a coalition’s success
long before we can document the change in smoking levels in the
community as a whole.
The KU Work Group’s participatory evaluation framework (Fawcett et al.,
2004; Institute of Medicine, 2003), detailed below, proposes a general
model with evaluation questions related to the five phases of the IOM model.
Overall question: Is the initiative serving as a catalyst for change
related to the specific goals?

Evaluation questions at each of the five phases are:

1. Assessment and collaborative planning
1. How has the coalition developed its organizational capacity?
2. Does the coalition have a vision and a plan for community mobilization?
3. Is the coalition membership inclusive of all community sectors?
2. Targeted action intervention
1. Has the coalition developed measurable and targeted action steps?
2. Is the coalition taking actions to reach its goals?
3. Will these action steps help the coalition reach its goals and meet
its objectives?
3. Community and systems change
1. Does the coalition create community changes, defined as changes in
programs, policies, and practices?
2. Have participating organizations changed programs, policies, and
practices? (These are the intermediary outcomes that seem to be able to
predict the ultimate population-level change).
4. Widespread behavior change
1. How widespread is the change?
2. Where have these changes occurred and what form do they take?
3. Are changes happening in many sectors and systems?
5. Improvement in population-level outcomes
1. How are community/system changes contributing to the efforts to
improve the community?
2. Are community/system changes associated with improvements in
population-level outcomes?

The chart above plots out both community changes (policies, practices,
programs) and population-level outcomes. The relationship of the curve
changes for these measures is one way of getting attribution.

Although this model was especially developed around health issues, it
generalizes quite well to most types of community change (see Fawcett et
al, 2004). Thus, an ultimate population-level outcome may be the level
of smoking in a community and level of smoking-related illness (for a
health-related concern) or it may be the level of violence, or the level
of access to adult basic education for immigrants (for social concerns).
Community Story: A Neighborhood Organization, Documentation/Evaluation

The best way to show you what we mean is to tell you about some of the
work we do with coalitions and communities. We get called upon to
conduct or assist with evaluations in many ways. On the most basic
level, we work with grassroots neighborhood groups who need to track
their successes for themselves and their stakeholders. On a larger
scale, we are contracted to evaluate national coalition-building
programs with numerous sites across the country. In both cases, the core
question is what information will help the coalition grow and be able to
demonstrate its accomplishments to its members and its stakeholders.
With the Cleghorn Neighborhood Center (CNC) in Fitchburg, Massachusetts,
we helped them shift their mission and work from a service framework
back to its roots in community development and community organizing. It
received funding from the Community Foundation of North Central
Massachusetts and a green light from its board for this shift. Following
this change, both the coalition and the foundation needed to see whether
the new plan was really going to work. Because little community
development work was occurring in the neighborhood, how to asses the new
approach was a mystery for many in the area. Community development was
also new territory for the staff, so we designed a documentation process
that would help the staff stay on track at the same time as they
recorded their progress.

We adapted the University of Kansas’ Online Documentation and Support
System (for information on purchasing these services go to the KU Work
Group’s website: http://communityhealth.ku.edu/services/services.shtml/
). This is based on the Ku Work Group’s efforts to provide the
grassroots group with a low-cost/no-cost tracking system. The staff
defined and logged activities, recorded number of people involved, and
tracked resources generated, planning products, services provided,
community actions by staff and residents, and community changes. (See
definitions below). As a result of these records, CNC was able to
provide charts and commentary in its report to its funder and its board.

Click here for an example from a CNC report/grant application:
Many levels of coalition assessment

When we set out to document our collaborative solutions work, we have
lots of choices as to what we will look at and what we will measure. We
can ask mainly internal-process questions about whether the coalition
has the members and core processes that it needs. We can ask about
relationships and changes in relationships, which emerge as both process
and outcome components critical to a collaborative’s success. Finally,
we can ask about the various levels of outcomes, or end results.
A Level of Coalition Assessment Tool has been developed that describes
the range of questions we can choose from when we document our
coalitions’ work. We use this list to help clients decide what they want
to learn about through documentation and evaluation. In a collaborative
participatory evaluation process, the members of the coalition and the
community can review these questions to decide what is most important
for them to know. This helps ensure that the evaluation is aimed at the
key needs of the coalition’s members.
Community Story: National Organization with Multiple Sites-Documentation
and Evaluation

One example of the use of a list of levels of assessment, like the one
referenced above, involves our work with a federal project with 17 sites
covering the nation. In the last year, we were asked to evaluate the
progress of each of the 17 networks on its collaborative ventures. Our
efforts have involved a number of steps. We started with the list of
questions on the levels of assessment to help us all understand what the
federal agency and the networks wanted to assess. The evaluation
ultimately included a review of the work to date; the development and
completion of oral interviews of the 17 directors and staff; and the
development of an online Coalition Member Assessment form.
Coalition Member Assessment Tool

The Coalition Member Assessment Tool is a variation of earlier
satisfaction surveys (http://www.tomwolff.com/resources/backer.pdf - see
Gillian Kaye, Steve Fawcett instruments) that allow members to rate
their coalition on a 1-5 scale, from agree to strongly disagree. The
instrument has 44 rated questions and a few open-ended questions. It
covers the following areas:
Vision – planning, implementation, progress
Leadership and membership
Structure
Communication
Activities
Outcomes
Relationships
Systems outcomes
Benefits from participation
Open-ended questions

The Coalition Member Assessment lends itself to online survey mechanisms
(Survey Monkey at www.surveymonkey.com, Zoomerang at www.zoomerang.com)
that make it easy to administer the survey and tabulate the results.
Community Story: A Small Non-Profit and Two Communities, - Documentation
and Evaluation

Another evaluation story involves our work with a small substance-abuse
agency in upstate New York where we helped them to track their
development work in two struggling communities. This evaluation was
designed to allow the staff, which was untrained in evaluation, to
conduct the evaluation themselves and to feed back data to the community
on a regular basis. A notebook was developed that included logs of all
activities undertaken by the coalition (staff and community members),
minutes from meetings, records of meeting attendance, and copies of all
community press coverage. Most coalitions ordinarily keep this type of
information, so it could easily be channeled to produce the core data
for both process and outcome evaluations.
One of the goals of the coalition was to create leadership. The
attendance and logs were examined to document moments when community
members took a leadership role. These were charted.
The regular logs of activity were analyzed through a system developed by
the University of Kansas (Fawcett et al 1995; 2000; 2003; 2004) to
document collaborative outcomes. The initiative documented services
provided, planning products, resources generated, community actions, and
community changes. These variables were charted in a cumulative graph.
A format was created for evaluating all training opportunities for
community members, and finally a member-satisfaction survey and
follow-up interviews were implemented.
All of these were pretty straightforward mechanisms. They were
implemented by a local staff person who had little background in
evaluation but worked with care and produced a highly successful
notebook. The notebook provided a clear picture of the coalition’s
activities and successes. As the data emerged, it was regularly shared
with coalition members at their monthly meetings. The community
participants found the information useful and the completed notebook
provided impressive coverage of the coalition’s activities for the large
foundation that was supporting its work.
This project offers a wonderful example of how a consultant can build
the client’s evaluation capacity instead of doing the evaluation. One
advantage of this approach is that evaluation can be easily integrated
into the coalition’s daily work—both gathering information and immediate
use of the findings. In this case, the staff person regularly shared
evaluation information with members as it emerged. Another advantage is
that the sponsoring organization ends up with a staff person who has new
evaluation skills.
Conclusion

We hope that this issue of the Collaborative Solutions Newsletter will
help our readers feel more comfortable and less intimidated with the
idea of assessing progress and celebrating successes. We hope to help
coalitions feel that they are able to proceed with documentation and
evaluation of their collaborative efforts on their own.
Documentation and evaluation are important. They allow you to understand
where your coalition is going; what your members feel about the
direction; and whether, indeed, you're making a difference.
Documentation and evaluation of collaborative efforts is understandable
and do-able. It does not have to be a mystery. It does not have to call
up old math anxiety. It can simply involve asking the key people the key
questions.
Documentation and evaluation can help your coalition answer critical
questions about your efforts. Are you all clear on where you are headed?
Do you have a viable structure? What changes are you really creating? Is
your progress steady?
Documentation and evaluation, when done in a participatory manner so
that the coalition and not the evaluator is in charge, will help your
coalition grow.