query: block clubs

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 31 10:46:08 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to David for responding to Amanda's query.]

From: "David Chavis" <DChavis at capablecommunity.com>

A question near and dear to my heart since my dissertation was also
based on studies of block associations:

Here is quickly some of the work I did with colleagues in New York City
on block organizations:

Perkins, D., Florin P., Rich, R., Wandersman, A., & Chavis, D. M.
(1990).  Crime and the social and physical environments of residential
blocks: The context of citizen participation.  American Journal of
Community Psychology, 18 83-115.

Prestby, J. Wandersman, A., Florin, P., Rich R., & Chavis, D. M.
(1990).  Benefits, costs, incentives management and participation in
voluntary associations. American Journal of Community Psychology 18,
117-149.

Clark, H., Chavis, D. M., & Glunt, E. (1988).  The 1988 state of the
neighborhood report. New York: Citizens Committee for New York City.

Chavis, D. M., & Wandersman, A. (1986). Roles for research and the
researcher in neighborhood development.  In R. B. Taylor (Ed.), Urban
neighborhoods:  Research and policy.  New York: Praeger, 215-249.

Perkins, D. D., Chavis, D. M., Florin, P., Rich, R. C., & Wandersman, A.
(1985).  Blocking crime with block associations. Citizens Participation,
6, (3) 18-9.

Wandersman, A., Florin, P., Chavis, D. M., Rich, R., & Prestby, J.
(1985).  Getting together and getting things done.  Psychology Today, 19
(11), 64-71.

A great resource may be the Citzens for New York (formally the Citizens
Committee for New York City). They organized thousands of these groups
starting in the mid 1970's. They had many publications and archived all
sorts of medai coverage on block clubs/associations/organizations. I
worked there from 1984-1988.

Good luck

David