query: block clubs

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 28 09:22:35 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Deborah for replying to Amanda's query.]

From: "Deborah Martin" <DeMartin at clarku.edu>

This is in response to the query by Amanda Seligman for secondary
scholarship on the history of block clubs, or about block clubs:

I'm afraid my memory isn't going to serve well here, but I recall a book
about Chicago neighborhoods, I think they were SW, that had been
working-class white and were resisting racial change (this was in the
60s or 70s I think).  I probably used the book for my dissertation, and
searching its bibliography, I come up with three possibilities for this
work --which as I recall, talked about block organizing.

Suzanne Keller _The Urban Neighborhood_
The other two potential authors are people for whom I have names but not
book titles:
Leanne Rivlin
Rebecca L. Smith

Perhaps someone else on the list has some ideas.

Finally, not to toot my own horn, but I did a case study of organizing
and what I called "place framing" in St. Paul, Minnesota, for my
dissertation, and two articles from that give some information about the
block club in the neighborhood. It may not be quite what you are looking
for, but the first one listed analyses the discursive and organizing
strategies of the block club, by paying attention to its gendered
language.  The second talks about the block club, but also other forms
of organizing in the case study neighborhood:

Deborah G. Martin, 2002, "Constructing the 'neighborhood sphere': gender
and community organizing," Gender, Place and Culture 9(4): 333-350.

Deborah G. Martin, 2003, "'Place-framing' as place-making: constituting
a neighborhood for organizing and activism," Annals of the Association
of American Geographers 93(3): 730-750.

I hope that is helpful,
Deborah

Deborah G. Martin                 Email: demartin at clarku.edu
Assistant Professor               Phone: 508-793-7104
School of Geography             Fax: 508-793-8881
Clark University
950 Main St.
Worcester, MA 01610