job: organizer, New York

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 25 21:45:35 CST 2007

From: Julie Davids <jdavids at champnetwork.org>

Please post or forward to all who may be interested

OPEN POSITION: New York City Community Organizer Posted: January 24, 2007

ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION:
Founded in 2003, the Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP) is
a national organization bridging HIV/AIDS, human rights, and struggles
for social and economic justice. We seek to train and mobilize the next
generation of the AIDS movement in the United States and to push for the
development of effective, reality-based HIV prevention policies on a
global scale.

Our mission is enacted through a variety of programs, including training
and technical assistance, policy analysis and strategy development,
coalition-building and strategic communications efforts. As a small but
growing organization, we currently have staff in New York City,
Providence, RI and Los Angeles.

RESPONSIBILITIES: The New York City Community Organizer will implement
CHAMP’s advocacy initiatives in New York City’s five Boroughs. Duties
include:

1. As the lead organizer for CHAMP’s Find the Condoms in Your School
campaign, plan and implement a successful campaign to increase condom
access in NYC high schools and build the organizing skills of young
people, by:
1. Recruiting and supporting the leadership of high school students,
including part-time organizers
2. Increasing collaboration with HIV/AIDS and youth organizations
3. Developing on-site campaigning groups at eight schools in different
boroughs
4. Facilitating campaign research, strategy development, and weekly
campaign planning meetings
5. Providing of skills-building trainings
6. Coordinating direct action, press work and other tactics for the campaign
7. Document campaign work and progress
2. Coordinate speakers, logistics, and turnout for CHAMP’s monthly
public forums on the politics of HIV prevention
3. Collaborate and build relationships with other AIDS and social
justice organizations in NYC
4. Provide long-distance skills-building and support to condom access
efforts in other parts of the country
5. Recruit and supervise volunteers and interns for our New York City office
6. Assist in conducting trainings for CHAMP’s community organizing and
skills building programs
7. Manage CHAMP’s NYC email lists, database, and online social
networking sites.

QUALIFICATIONS: CHAMP is seeking a community organizer who is familiar
with HIV/AIDS, youth, and racial justice issues and how they affect
communities in New York City. We are looking for an individual with a
desire to use their talents and experience to broaden support for
progressive HIV/AIDS, LGBT, racial justice, social justice, and women’s
issues and organizations. Candidate should have:
• an interest and existing knowledge of HIV/AIDS, as well as community
organizing and/or policy work
• experience working with students and youth
• the ability to relate to a wide range of people from diverse racial,
gender, sexuality and national backgrounds
• exceptional planning and organizational abilities
• proficient writing and computer skills

REPORTS TO: Manager of Operations and Programs
SALARY: Competitive, and commensurate with experience. Excellent
vacation and health benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional
references by February 12 to:
Sonny Suchdev, Community Organizer
via fax: (401) 633-7793 / email: CHAMPjob at gmail.com
<mailto:jdavids at champnetwork.org> , with the subject: NYC Community
Organizer

If you are not familiar with our work, we encourage you to learn more
about our organization’s mission and work as you consider applying.
Online information includes our website: www.champnetwork.org
<http://www.champnetwork.org> , as well as citations in the press.

CHAMP is committed to diversity. Applicants from historically
underrepresented groups and AIDS-affected communities are strongly
encouraged to apply.
We will contact only those candidates whose professional experience
meets our requirements. No phone calls please.