VOP News Magazine Available Online!

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:02:53 CST 2007

    From:  	Virginia Organizing Project <e-action at virginia-organizing.org>

Forward this newsletter to a friend
<http://www.thedatabank.com/smFriend.asp?enid=YWFjd2M9MzcxNDMyNDQyMTQ5NjcxMDU5NjI0MjY5MiZlbWFpbD1yc3RvZWNrZXJAd2lzYy5lZHU=>

*virginia.organizing
Special Legislative Issue -- January 2007*

Dear Randy,

*Did you know that /virginia.organizing/, the news magazine of the
Virginia Organizing Project is available online?*  Along with the entire
version available for download in PDF format, there are also selected
articles that you can read online.  To check out our news magazine web
page, visit www.virginia-organizing.org/newsmag.php
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/newsmag.php>.

You now have a choice about how to receive /virginia.organizing/.  You
can receive it in a printed version via regular mail, you can receive it
electronically via e-mail, or you can receive it both ways!  To indicate
which way you want to receive it, please go to: http://vop.e-actionmax.com/

*If you /HAVE NOT/ previously signed in:*

   1.
      Enter your e-mail address only (do not enter a password) and click
      on Login.
   2.
      This will take you to your own personal page where you can correct
      or fill in your contact information.  Be sure to create a password
      here. (The password will also protect your privacy!).  Also on
      this page you will also be able to choose the types of issues you
      wish to receive alerts on.
   3.
      Indicate your newsletter preference.
   4.
      Select issues that you're interested in taking action on.

*If you /HAVE/ previously signed in:*

   1.
      Enter your e-mail address and the password you created on your
      last visit and click on Login and select Update Profile in the
      upper left corner (below the blue "action" bar).
   2.
      This will take you to your own personal page where you can edit
      your contact information. Also on this page you will also be able
      to choose the types of issues you wish to receive alerts on.
   3.
      Indicate your newsletter preference.

Once you have logged in, feel free to visit our action page by clicking
the Act Now button or by visiting
http://vop.e-actionmax.com/alertlist.asp.  This is where it's very
important for you to enter your full contact information (which is
needed in order to send your message in VOP's e-action alert system to
the correct state Delegate and Senator).

CONTENTS

*Don't Recycle this Magazine (until March)!
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_dont.php>
*

Welcome to the General Assembly 2007 issue of VOP's news magazine. You
may remember that in the last issue, we started by breaking things down
a little, to help you understand how you can make a difference. Well,
this is the time of year when you can really make a difference --
statewide.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_dont.php>

VOP steps up its General Assembly presence
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_vop.php>

The 2007 General Assembly of Virginia began on Wednesday, January 10 in
Richmond and is scheduled to end on Saturday, February 24. During these
46 days your Virginia Organizing Project will have a much stronger
presence.  MORE <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_vop.php>

Virginia Legislative Process
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_how.php>
"Those who respect the law and enjoy sausage should never watch either
one being made." - attributed to German political leader Otto von Bismarck

This motto is often quoted humorously at the Virginia General Assembly,
as legislators and others go about the process of making laws for all
Virginians. But as Virginians, we need to know how the basic legislative
process works -- and, most importantly, how we can make a difference --
no matter how ugly the process may be.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_how.php>

*Legislative Committees*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_who.php>
Legislation on increasing the minimum wage and predatory lending will go
through the House Commerce and Labor Committee and the Senate Commerce
and Labor Committee.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_who.php>

*Your Feedback is Needed!*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_feedback.php>
Next year, and for many years to come, the Virginia General Assembly
will be meeting and making decisions that change our lives. We have to
get into the habit of watching them, and having an impact on them --
just like we take care of our families, our homes, our neighborhoods,
and even, by recycling and limiting our energy use, our planet.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_feedback.php>

*VOP Legislative Agenda*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_agenda.php>
Please click here
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_agenda.php> to read
about VOP's 2007 Legislative Agenda.

*Racial Profiling*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_better.php>
Tsaike Brundige had plans when he moved to Virginia. They involved his
career, his physical health, and his social life. Becoming an activist
on racial profiling issues wasn't on his list. But before he had even
unloaded his furniture, he had been stopped by police officers in
circumstances that disturbed him. He began to research the related law,
planning to defend himself in court. When officers came to his house,
apparently to intimidate him, he says now, "I knew that I was in for a
tough fight -- but I chose not to back down." Not long afterwards,
through a local group called Unity in the Community, he made contact
with VOP, and became part of VOP's statewide campaign committee on
racial profiling.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_better.php>

Tax Reform <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_tax.php>
"Tax reform is not a big issue in the 2007 General Assembly, but
Virginia's tax code is still regressive," said Denise Smith, a member of
the VOP Tax Reform Strategy Committee.   MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_tax.php>

Minimum Wage <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_leaders.php>
During the winter months, many congregations and organizations provide
hot meals and evening shelter beds to homeless individuals and families.
After serving breakfast on Christmas morning, a first time volunteer at
a church in Richmond stated in a surprised tone, "These people are
working, but do not earn enough to get a place to live and pay utilities
and child care. Something is not right when you work and cannot provide
for your family."  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_leaders.php>

Payday Lending <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_get.php>

What's bright-colored, located in a low-income neighborhood, more common
than McDonald's restaurants, and can charge up to 380 percent interest?
Keep reading to find out.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_get.php>

Slavery Atonement
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_slavery.php>

The "high profile" issues of 2007 include transportation, land use and
taxes. But the 2007 General Assembly will also be asked to look at
perhaps the highest profile issue in Virginia history -- slavery.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_slavery.php>

Immigration <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_hurting.php>
In worksites, schools and communities across the Commonwealth, it's easy
to see the remarkable diversity and energy that Virginia's immigrants
contribute to our economy. In addition to the highly-educated,
highly-compensated immigrants who distinguish themselves in a variety of
sectors, Virginia also benefits from the hard labor of a huge workforce
of both documented and undocumented immigrants working for low pay.
MORE <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_hurting.php>

Environment <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_virginia.php>
In December 2005, leaders of the North Airport Drive Civic Association
in eastern Henrico County did what civic leaders do almost every week
somewhere in our Commonwealth. They made phone calls and talked to their
neighbors, and got a lot of them to come out to a hearing of the County
Board of Supervisors. Several members spoke up at the hearing against a
rezoning application that would have rezoned agricultural land for
residential development. Then, according to the minutes of the meeting,
"A large group of citizens who were against the case and in favor of
one-acre lot sizes on the site stood up in the audience." MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_virginia.php>

Sexual Orientation
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_marriage.php>
On November 7, the so-called Marriage Amendment passed, though only by
57 percent of those voting, the lowest margin for such an amendment in a
southern state.  On the way to this painful defeat, Equality Virginia,
and others opposing discrimination based on sexual orientation, had won
many small victories.  MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_marriage.php>

*Verifiable Voting*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_verifiable.php>
"The WINvote machines failed. The software failed (machines crashed
throughout, voters reported difficulty in getting their choices to
record), the hardware failed (some machines required new batteries, some
needed to be 'jiggled' back into operation, modems failed to transmit
data) and the procedures for handling Election Day problems were
non-existent (machines were removed by non-Electoral Board employees,
and they were taken from the plain view of the election officers)." -
 From Operation Ballot Integrity, a report of the Fairfax County
Republican Committee on the election of November 3, 2003.   MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_verifiable.php>

*Utilities* <http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_tear.php>
"Two utility issues of major concern to Virginians' pocketbooks will
come up at the 2007 General Assembly session," said Irene E. Leech,
president of the Virginia Citizens Consumer Council.   MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_tear.php>

*Transportation*
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_attention.php>
As you prepare to have an impact on the 2007 General Assembly, take a
moment to think about the story of RAIL Solution and STAR Solutions --
referred to by Roanoke Times columnist Tommy Denton as "a splendid
example of David-versus-Goliath democracy in action."    MORE
<http://www.virginia-organizing.org/magazine/jan07_attention.php>