Midwest Academy summer internship

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 18 18:54:11 CST 2007

[ed: this internship includes stipend information.]

From: Midwestacademy5 at aol.com

Midwest Academy

Summer 2007 Community Organizing Internship Program

The Midwest Academy, a 33-year-old national training institute for
progressive direct action organizing, will hire community organizing
interns for a paid ten week Summer 2007 program. The stipend will be
$3000, and will be paid biweekly. The program will run from Monday, June
4 – Friday, August 10.

We are still determining the exact locations of placements. In 2006,
interns were in Chicago neighborhoods from 95th and State to Brighton
Park, Kenwood-Oakland, and Uptown, as well as in several suburban
locations. Preference will be given to applicants from the Chicago area,
or in school in the Chicago area. Details about locations will be posted
as soon as available.

Interns will receive a week of training similar to the
Midwest Academy five-day training (see training agenda at
www.midwestacademy.com.) They will learn how organizers choose issues,
develop strategy, assess their own organizational power and that of
their target/opponents, recruit constituents, and move into action.
(Costs for the training, including room/board, are covered.

During the nine weeks in the field, interns will conduct community
outreach and organize one or more public meetings. Interns will receive
day-to-day supervision from their placement organizations, and ongoing
training and mentoring from the Midwest Academy. For interns who are
interested in pursuing a job in community organizing, we will provide
job search assistance at the end of the internship or upon college
graduation.

We are looking for young people who are ready to work hard and take on
new challenges and responsibilities, who have a passion for social
justice, and who want to learn solid skills in the field of organizing.
We are particularly looking for people who want to explore a career in
progressive organizing in Illinois. Fluency in Spanish or other
languages relevant to recent immigrants will be a plus for some
locations. Use of a car will be required in the suburbs! Mileage will be
reimbursed.

To apply: Fill out the application below or on our website at
www.midwestacademy.com. Review of applications will begin February 15
and continue until positions are filled. Likely candidates will be
interviewed via telephone. Target date to complete hiring is March 31.
Questions? Review our website, then email Judy Hertz at mainterns at aol.com.

Application for Midwest Academy Summer 2007 Internship

Your responses probably won’t fit on one page, but we are looking for
content, not length! Please paste application into the text of an email
to submit; do not submit attached files. Submit applications to Judy
Hertz at mainterns at aol.com.

-Name

-Current Address

-Permanent Address

-Telephone

-Email

-College Attended, and anticipated year of graduation:
(community college students, recent grads and grad students also welcome
to apply)

-Please describe your race/ethnicity:

-Will you have the use of a car this summer?

-Why are you interested in learning community organizing skills? What do
you most hope to get out of the summer internship experience?

-What previous social justice efforts have you been involved in, either
as a volunteer or paid (on campus or off)?

-Thinking of your previous experiences, tell more about one particular
thing that you did. Explain why you either felt great satisfaction in
the experience, or did not feel satisfied.

-What are your career goals? (You may be able to name a specific job or
field, or what kind of skills you want to be using, or what your broad
goals are. We are looking for your ideas about your future, not
necessarily a clear five-year career path.)

-Can you carry on a conversation in a language other than English? Which
one, and how well?

-Is there anything else you would like us to know about you?

-How did you hear about this internship?