How to send a COMM-ORG job ad

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 13 08:54:55 CST 2007

Hi COMM-ORG,

Welcome to the western new year.  I hope it is starting off well for all.

Every once in a while I like to check in on some of the COMM-ORG
traditions.  You will be getting a few of these messages over the next
couple of weeks.  Today the issue is job ads.

Here are some points on job ads that will make an ad go online more
quickly and prettily.

1. Many COMM-ORG members strongly urge you to include actual wage and
salary info, and boycott  job ads that do not include such information.
It is not a requirement, but those who do include it will get a header
at the top of their ad saying they have included the information.

2.  If you send a job ad in fancy formatted html text or rich text, the
list server will strip all that nice formatting .  What you may end up
with could look pretty ugly.  If you want to make sure your job ad goes
out the way you intended it, then send it in plain text only.

3.  If you send a job ad as an attached file, it will be returned to
you.  My goal is for every message to be accessible to every computer,
with no risk of viruses and no wasting of bandwidth.  Thus, no attached
files.  If it is important for you to present a job ad with extensive
formatting, the best thing to do is to put it on your own website, with
a job announcement that links to the ad on your site.

Thanks,

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG
rstoecker at wisc.edu