community weaver training

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 12 19:04:09 CST 2007

From: "Family Support Network" <wecare at familynetwork.org>

Register early to guarantee your space and pass the word along to your
colleagues and friends. If you'd prefer to start Community Weaving in
your community by hosting a training, email CWTinquiry at familynetwork.org
and we'll send you all the details and waive registration fees for two
attendees.

COMMUNITY WEAVER
CERTIFICATION TRAINING

January 26 & 27, 2007
9am - 5pm

2100 Building
Board Room
2100 24th Ave. So.
Seattle, Washington

Community Weaving is a grass roots community mobilization approach that
increases community capacity and social capital by engaging citizens to
pool resources, network with one another and co-create initiatives for
the common good of the community. As a Community Weaver, you will learn
how to start-up Family Support Networks in schools, churches,
neighborhoods, associations and agencies within your community and train
volunteers as Family Advocates/Liaisons. You will gain insight into
transformative community building theories and practices and learn
practical applications of ABCD (Asset-Based Community Development) and
Family Support principles that underpin the FSN methodology. All the
tools, techniques, technology and expertise you need are provided to
customize change initiative(s) to empower families toward
self-sufficiency and better meet the needs of your community. You'll be
amazed at how easy it is to engage, train and mobilize a grass roots
social support system that serves as a safety net for families, fosters
social capital and functions interdependently with formal systems to
improve the health and welfare of the whole community from the inside out.

Presenter

Cheryl Honey, CEO, Excel Strategies, Inc. and Founder, Family Support
Network, International
Cheryl Honey is the pioneer of Community Weaving practices and
contributing author to The Change Handbook (2nd Ed). She founded the
Family Support Network, International (FSNI), a non-profit organization,
in 1993 and has trained and certified over 400 Community Weavers and
Family Advocates who are respected leaders and change agents in their
communities. Cheryl graduated from Antioch University Seattle with B.A.
in Liberal Arts. She received the Giraffe Award for sticking her neck
out in 1996 and was presented with the Ambassador of Peace and
Excellence in Leadership Awards from the International and
Interreligious Federation for World Peace. The ABCD Institute and
Institute for Civil Society have recognized the Family Support Network
model as an exemplary approach to capacity building. Cheryl is a writer
and lecturer and resides with her family in Bothell, Washington.

Jim Diers, author Neighbor Power & ABCD Faculty
Jim Diers has a passion for building neighbor power. Since moving to
Seattle in 1976, he put that passion to work for an Alinsky-style
community organization, a health care cooperative, and a community
development corporation. Diers was appointed the first director of
Seattle’s Department of Neighborhoods in 1988. He served under three
mayors over the next 14 years as the department grew to become a
national model for planning and development powered by neighbors.
http://www.neighborpower.org

Registration Fee:
$250
(Includes certification, materials & meals)
www.communityweaving.org/registration.htm

Scholarships available
Email scholarships at familynetwork.org with your scholarship request
(No one will be turned away due to financial constraints!)

Those coming from outside the Seattle area, rooms have been reserved at:
Baroness Hotel
Single Rate: $65
1005 Spring St
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 624-0787 Ext. 0 or www.baronesshotel.com

For more information:
206.240.2241
wecare at familynetwork.org

Family Support Network
www.familynetwork.org

Community Weaving
www.communityweaving.org

"The more resourceful we are among ourselves, the more valuable a
resource we become to our families, our communities and our world."

New Web-Based Technology!
FSN volunteer, Max Stalnaker, developed a web-based technology to enable
individuals and groups to share resources, establish Group ID's, locate
resources, organize activities, spearhead initiatives and publish
resource directories. To tour FSN website go to: www.familynetwork.org.
This technology is free has flexible applications for connecting members
of groups, associations, neighborhoods, churches, and schools together.
The 2100 Building is located in the heart of one of Seattle's most
culturally diverse communities, Rainer Valley. We engage the agencies
and families we serve by helping them organize a variety of activities
and special events for the whole community. You are welcome to drop in
and tour the facility.