job: deputy director, Chicago or Washington DC
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 12 19:03:01 CST 2007
From: jackendall at aol.com
Position Available - Deputy Director Posting January 11, 2007
The Midwest Academy, a national training institute for progressive
organizations, is seeking a full-time
Deputy Director in Chicago or Washington, D.C.
The Deputy Director will report to, and work closely with, the Executive
Director to provide leadership to the organization and coordination of
organizational activities. The Deputy Director will help guide the
Academy’s strategic development, lead fundraising efforts, develop and
participate in designated training and consulting activities, and
represent the Midwest Academy in some external settings.
· Implement the expansion of the Midwest Academy’s training, consulting,
and civic engagement programs and services;
· Oversee the development of written materials to support training and
· Expand the network of Midwest Academy supporters throughout the country;
· Represent the Midwest Academy externally with client organizations,
progressive institutions, and donors and funders as appropriate.
Resource & Program Development:
· Develop, oversee and conduct training programs for a diverse client base.
· In collaboration with the Development Director, Executive Director and
Board participate in the development and execution of a comprehensive
fundraising plan to raise revenue to meet a $3 million expansion budget.
· Develop specific strategies to renew and increase revenue from
national and local foundations, institutions, and individuals;
· Develop marketing strategies for the current Midwest Academy training
and consulting programs, and develop new programs and markets.
· Demonstrated strong commitment to building progressive institutions.
· Varied experience working with progressive organizations (i.e. issue,
community and electoral organizing, training, and fundraising)
· Experience working with diverse constituencies.
· Willingness to travel extensively (non-negotiable/50%).
· Significant experience in a senior level position with a progressive,
· A track record of successful fundraising.
· Ability to develop a team of trainers and support staff.
· Demonstrated ability to oversee organizational finances.
· Excellent interpersonal, written, organizational and project
· An entrepreneurial attitude, balanced with the ability to respect
co-workers, board members, and client organizations’ board and staff.
· Excellent computer skills including mastery of Word, Excel, Access and
About the Midwest Academy
The Midwest Academy is one of the leading organizer training institutes
in the country. With a very experienced training staff, the Midwest
Academy trains organizers at all levels – entry to advanced. The Academy
provides strategic planning services, board and staff development,
weeklong “Organizing for Social Change” trainings, and supervisory
trainings in residential settings as well as organizationally tailored
sessions to groups throughout the country.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on experience; excellent benefits.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send letter of interest
and résumé to
the Executive Director:
28 East Jackson #605
Chicago, Illinois 60604
E-mail: midwestacademy at aol.com
(indicate Deputy Directory in subject)
The Midwest Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
More information about the Colist