job: director, New York

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 11 17:24:46 CST 2007

From: tjwaters at earthlink.net

Dear friend,

As Board President of New York State Tenants &
Neighbors, I am writing to let you know that we have
started a search for a new Executive Director to lead
our staff in continuing and strengthening our
campaigns for tenant’s rights and affordable housing
in the coming years.

Our current Executive Director, Jumaane Williams, has
greatly improved our organization’s position in the
last two years but has decided to leave us to pursue
a new opportunity. We are working with Community
Research Exchange on a transition planning and search
process.

I am reaching out to you to enlist your help in
identifying potential candidates for this position.
Please spread the word to qualified candidates.

We are seeking an individual with strong
collaborative leadership skills, who can support and
develop our staff, serve as our chief strategist,
ensure our continued fiscal stability, and represent
the organization effectively to our members, allies,
elected officials, and the public. The ideal
candidate will have a strong management track record
as well as an understanding of community organizing,
leadership development, and housing and tenants’
rights issues.

I am enclosing a detailed position description.

If you know of individuals who might be the right fit
for Tenants & Neighbors, please encourage them to
send/fax/email (email preferred) their resume and
cover letter by February 5 to:

Tenants & Neighbors Search Committee
Community Resource Exchange
42 Broadway, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Fax: 212-616-4994.
tandn at crenyc.org

We are excited by the prospect of beginning another
phase in our organizational growth with a new
Executive Director. Thank you for your help as we
fill this important role.

Sincerely,

Tom Waters
Board President

TENANTS & NEIGHBORS SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

NYS Tenants & Neighbors (www.tandn.org), a statewide
tenant’s rights advocacy organization seeks a full-
time executive director to lead the agency into a new
phase of growth and visibility through program
innovation, base building and increased advocacy.
Tenants & Neighbors fights for tenants’ rights and
affordable housing for all people. We work in rent
controlled, rent stabilized, Mitchell-Lama, federal
Section 8 and public housing throughout the state.
Founded in 1976, Tenants & Neighbors has a $600,000
budget, 8 full-time staff, a 15-member board of
directors, and 18,000 members. We work to empower
and educate tenants, preserve affordable housing and
livable neighborhoods; and strengthen tenant
protections statewide.

The Executive Director is the chief organizing and
campaign strategist for T&N. The ideal candidate is
passionate about preserving affordable housing and
has experience with constituent-based organizing.
S/he is an accomplished professional with 5-7 years
non-profit experience including program management,
staff management, fundraising and fiscal management.
The Executive Director should be a collaborative
leader and strategic thinker with experience
navigating complex political situations.

Salary commensurate with experience. Women and
people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Submit
resume, cover letter and salary history to Tenants &
Neighbors Search Committee by 2/5/07 via email
(preferred) to tandn at crenyc.org or mail: Community
Resource Exchange, 42 Broadway, 20th Fl., NY, NY
10004. Fax: 212-616-4994.

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION

As the chief organizing and campaign strategist for
T&N, the Executive Director guides campaigns and
creates alliances that enhance T&N’s mission. The
Executive Director is responsible for leading the
agency’s achievement of its mission and financial
objectives. S/he has primary responsibility for
development (Board/Program/Staff) and fundraising
(institutional, government and individual) financial
management, external relations (community, media,
government, funders), new program development, and
advocacy.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

Leadership and Vision
* Works with board and staff to establish clear
vision and direction for Tenants & Neighbors,
promotes mission and builds support for programs
and initiatives
* Leads strategic planning process, oversees
implementation of strategy and monitors progress
against agency goals
* Works collaboratively with the Board of Directors
and staff to set achievable agency goals and
expectations
* Leads, motivates and inspires Tenants & Neighbors
team to achieve the mission
* Fosters a supportive, accountable and productive
work environment

Management and Administration

* Develops, implements and manages effective internal
operating systems for finance, IT, HR, Facilities
and other staff support functions
* Develops agency budget with input from program
staff and approval by the Board
* Ensures that agency operates within budget
guidelines
* Leads the development of strategic and operational
plans
* Ensures that the staff is kept fully informed on
the operational status of the agency and about
events or situations that affect their work and the
achievement of agency goals

Fundraising and Development
* Leads creation of fundraising plan
* Guides the Development Director in implementing
plans and evaluates all development and fundraising
work
* Identifies and cultivates relationships with
individual donors, foundation, corporate and public
funders
* Maintains agency funding from a diverse mix of
sources

Financial Management

* Ensures that financial reporting systems are
accurate and efficient
* Works with staff to develop agency budget and
facilitate board review and approval process
* Ensures that adequate funds are available to permit
Tenants & Neighbors to carry out its work
* Works with Board of Directors to ensure that they
are informed of the fiscal status of the agency in
a timely and effective manner

Program Management and Evaluation

* Develops new, fundable programs that meet the needs
of the community, including plan to build
membership base
* Ensures staff input into the development of new
programs and long-term program plans
* Partners with the program staff to establish sound
working relationships with community-based
organizations

Human Resources and Administration

* Leads the development of the agency’s
administrative infrastructure and implements
interim solutions to infrastructure challenges as
the agency grows
* Ensures implementation of effective, efficient
administrative systems, structure and technology
solutions
* Manages HR functions, including recruitment and
staffing, training and development, employee and
labor relations, policy and procedures (development
and implementation), and performance management
* Proactively provides opportunities for staff
development and training
* Works with supervisors and staff to address
employee performance and behavior concerns

External Relations

* Establish sound working relationships with
community groups and partner organizations
* Publicize and promote the activities of the agency,
its programs and goals
* Articulate and represent the point of view of
Tenants & Neighbors to agencies, organizations, the
media and the general public
* Maintain the visibility of the agency and its
causes in the community, media and general public
* Ensure visibility of the appropriate agency staff
in relations with all agency stakeholders, the
community, other community-based organizations,
funders, and media contacts

Board of Directors

* Acts as liaison to Board and provides staff support
to Board
* Attends Board meetings, actively participates in
board committees, and supports ongoing Board
development and staffing
* Provides information and guidance to the Board in
order to maintain awareness of community needs and
facilitate informed decision-making

Supervisory Responsibilities

* Manages and evaluates program, administration,
finance and fundraising staff.

Qualifications and Experience

* Commitment to Tenants & Neighbors mission
* Organizing experience, preferably in the area of
affordable housing
* 5-7 years non-profit management experience.
* Program management experience of at least 3-5
years, including program development, planning and
evaluation
* Supervisory experience of at least 3-5 years
* Demonstrated leadership experience
* Reputation in the non-profit sector, ideally in the
New York City region and in the affordable housing
arena
* Proven success in fundraising
* Experience in managing budgets, strategic and
operational planning, public relations and advocacy
* Exceptional speaking, writing, presentation and
other communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, develop and
retain staff (including delegating work, providing
appropriate levels of guidance and direction to
staff)
* Facility in navigating difficult political
situations, as well as managing and resolving
conflicts and differences