New book on urban community organizing

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:49:04 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Sylvie for the discussion on finding good books.]

From: "Mcgee, Sylvie" <mcgees at evergreen.edu>

Hi, Kathy,

You may not care for the Amazon monopoly (neither do I), but they are
*very* useful for exactly this kind of research, since they list the
publisher and ISBN in their product info. It's:

*    Paperback: 264 pages
*    Publisher: University Press of Kansas (April 6, 2007)
*    Language: English
*    ISBN-10: 0700615148
*    ISBN-13: 978-0700615148

For that matter, they now act as agent for many independents. Because
I'm often searching for books with limited availability and in some
cases out-of-print, I check availability of new and used copies on
Amazon, pull the name of the independent bookstore that carries the book
I'm interested in, and then contact the independent directly.

For used and out of print books, Alibris.com is also a nice alternative
to Amazon.

Sylvie McGee
mcgees at evergreen.edu