job: Director of Giving, New York

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 5 07:25:46 CST 2007

From:     Sondra Youdelman <sondra at cvhaction.org>

Please help us circulate this job posting...

ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION:

Community Voices Heard (CVH) is a small grassroots membership
organization of low-income people, working together to build the power
of their families in New York City and New York State so as to bring
about progressive policy change.  Using base-building, direct-action,
research and coalition building, we lead campaigns to win benefits -
such as living wage jobs, access to quality education and training, and
affordable housing - for our membership.

JOB DESCRIPTION:

Community Voices Heard is seeking a creative and energetic individual to
help diversify our funding base and build our development
infrastructure, with a focus on individual donors, to better support our
economic justice organizing in low-income communities in New York.  The
position calls for a mid-level staff person to spearhead an individual
giving program to contribute towards our $880,000 budget, developing
strategies and directing all activities that draw support from
individual donors (in the form of both small and large gifts).  The
person will report to the Executive Director and work in coordination
with Director of Administration & Institutional Giving – helping to
develop and implement stronger fundraising, communications and
development operations within the organization.  The primary work of
this position will include donor recruitment and management, development
of a stronger events program, and working with membership to implement a
grassroots fundraising program.  Additionally, the position will be
responsible for communications work that supports the fundraising efforts.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:

** Development Planning: devising and implementing a non-foundation
development plan (including donor base development, annual individual
donor appeal, major donor appeal, corporate solicitation, etc.) for the
organization.
** Individual Donor Recruitment & Management: building a list of
potential donors, developing and managing ongoing donor contact, donor
mailings and other donor development systems.
** Organizing Special Events: organizing both small (i.e. house parties,
bar nights) and large special events (i.e. annual gala) to raise
resources from individual donors.
** Staffing a Grassroots Membership Fundraising Committee: working with
CVH members to develop and implement a membership run grassroots
fundraising plan potentially including both events and implementation of
membership dues paying systems.
** Development of Communications Materials: developing externally used
materials (brochures, pamphlets, website content, etc.), putting
together quarterly newsletter.
** Maintenance of Fundraising Database: designing and/or implementing
appropriate tracking systems for fundraising efforts, entering new
contacts into database, keeping information up to date, tracking
donations by contact.

QUALIFICATIONS:

The ideal candidate will have 2-4 years of experience engaged in
fundraising, special events, communications, etc.  Specific
qualifications include some of the following:

** Demonstrated commitment to building long-term power for low-income
people of color, their families, and their communities.
** Experience reaching out to new potential individual donor prospects
and pitching organizational projects and needs.
** Excellent written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
** Experience planning, organizing and executing special events and
fundraisers.
** Experience working with and managing a donor tracking system and
maintaining effective and strategic donor contact through mailings,
phone calls, and individual visits.
** Ability to work with a diverse membership base in a bottom-up
grassroots organization fundraising committee.
** Experience with material and document writing, editing and production.
** The capacity to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
** Highly organized and pays close attention to detail.

TO APPLY:

Please send a resume, writing sample, names of three references and a
cover letter by mail to: Michelle Perez, Director of Administration &
Institutional Giving, Community Voices Heard, 170 East 116th Street,
#1E, New York, NY 10029 or by email to michelle at cvhaction.org.

As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CVH strongly encourages people of
color, women, and GLBT individuals to apply.

Original Posting Date: January 3rd, 2007.  Resumes will be accepted
until the position is filled.  We encourage submissions ASAP.

SALARY / BENEFITS:

Salary depends on experience (DOE).  Excellent benefits including health
insurance, sabbatical, 403(b) retirement program, generous vacation
leave, and holiday time off.