query: teaching organizing in little time

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 23 23:26:19 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Mike for replying to Aaron's query.]

From: "Mike Hodge" <MHodge at TNRC.net>

For what it's worth, we sometimes start our leadership training classes
for adults by asking them to name times that they have felt powerless.
These can be individual ("When my dad was dying of cancer..") or
community-related ("When the city told us our neighborhood was 'too
far-gone' to get any help.").

If you really take the time to do this -- and if you have a good
diversity of experiences in the room, it certainly helps to set the
stage for a discussion on power -- and why we have to be about
organizing.  In general, I think helping people connect with the
internal motivation for organizing is the critical first step in teaching.

Mike Hodge
Neighborhoods Resource Center
Nashville, TN