IRB/REB training workgroup on CBPR still looking for community members - please respond by 12/18!

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 16 19:54:34 CST 2007

From: Sarena Seifer <sarena at u.washington.edu>

*Please forward to your community networks and appropriate parties*

Dear COMM-ORG colleagues,

We recently announced a call for participation in a new workgroup being
sponsored by Community-Campus Partnerships for Health and the Tuskegee
Bioethics Center. The workgroup will develop trainings for institutional
review boards/research ethics boards (IRBs/REBs) focused on how to
review community-based participatory research (CBPR) protocols (see
below for original message). We are also forming a review/advisory
committee that will provide advice, comments, and feedback to the
workgroup as the training is being developed. (Scroll down for a
description of the specific responsibilities and time commitment for
each of these groups).

We are looking to build a workgroup and review/advisory committee that
is composed of community members, academics, and IRB/REB
administrators/committee members. We received an overwhelming amount
of interest from the latter two groups (thank you!). However, we are
still looking for more community members interested in joining the
workgroup and review/advisory committee, to ensure that the training
is developed from a community perspective, in addition to the academic
and IRB/REB perspectives.

If you are a community member, we hope that you will consider being
part of this workgroup or review/advisory committee. Please call
Kristine Wong (206.543.7954) with an indication of your interest
(addressing the questions below), or send an email to
kristine at u.washington.edu with a short answer (no more than two
paragraphs) for each question by December 18, 2007, at 12 noon PST. We
will let everyone know no later than Friday, December 21 as to which
group we would like to place you in, and ask you to send us your
confirmation no later than January 4, 2008. (The first workgroup
meeting will take place on January 24, 2008).

Short-answer questions

1.    What organization/institution/community groups are you affiliated
with?  (If you are employed as a community-academic liaison and see
yourself affiliated with both equally, please state this).

2.    Are you affiliated with an IRB/REB? If so, what kind of research
does your IRB/REB review (i.e., biomedical, social and behavioral
sciences, combination)? What is your role in the IRB/REB?

3.    Please describe your experience with CBPR (i.e., worked on a CBPR
project, took a class/workshop on CBPR, taught a class on CBPR,
reviewed CBPR projects as part of your IRB/REB responsibilities, etc).

4.    Please describe your experience working with communities or
community-based organizations.

5.    Please list any networks, associations, or affiliations you may
have that might be useful in developing and implementing the CBPR
training for IRBs/REBs.

6.    Please indicate whether you would like to be placed in the
workgroup or review/advisory committee. If you would like to
participate in both, please indicate which group is your first choice.
Remember, the workgroup involves a greater time commitment than the
review/advisory committee.

The specific expectations of each group are as follows:

Workgroup (Time commitment: 5 hrs/month minimum)

-Participate in toll-free monthly teleconference calls (4th Thursday
of each month, 12 pm PST) one hour in duration
-Work with workgroup members/subcommittees in between meetings
-Solicit advice from review/advisory committee members as needed
-Pilot test training with IRBs/REBs (not an expectation of all members
- just those who are interested or have access to an IRB/REB that may
be able to do this), solicit feedback and bring back to the workgroup;
revise training as necessary
-Help to promote and seek out IRBs/REBs interested in receiving the
training once the curriculum has been developed

Review/Advisory Committee (Time commitment: varies; 5 hours every
two months minimum)
-Provide feedback and advice as requested from workgroup
-Participate in intermittent conference calls as needed
-Assist with the pilot test training with IRBs/REBs (not an
expectation of all members - just those who are interested or have
access to an IRB/REB that may be able to do this.  Seek feedback to
share with the workgroup
- Help to promote and seek out IRBs/REBs interested in receiving the
training once the curriculum has been developed

Please contact CCPH Program Director Kristine Wong at Phone: 206.543.7954
Email: kristine at u.washington.edu

Partnerships for Health and the Tuskegee Bioethics Center (see:
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/irbcalls2.html)

CCPH and the Tuskegee Bioethics Center are forming a workgroup (made
up of a diverse group of stakeholders such as community members,
community-based researchers/academics, IRB/REB administrators and
committee members) that will put together a training targeted towards
IRBs/REBs and IRB/REB committees. The training will show how IRB/REB
committees
should review CBPR protocols. This type of training was the top-ranked
follow-up activity identified by those participating in the Educational
Conference Call Series (for the full questionnaire results, see
http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/pdf_files/Final_IRB_Call_Series_Eval.pdf).

By engaging this diverse group in collaboratively developing a
training curriculum for IRBs/REBs on CBPR and by taking the training "out
on the road" to IRBs/REBs and conferences attended by IRB/REB staff and
committee members, I believe that we will go beyond the simple goal of
raising greater awareness about CBPR. In the process, we will foster
an opportunity for knowledge exchange, greater dialogue, and
understanding among these groups to learn more each other's goals and
objectives, which will help them have a greater understanding as to
why CBPR protocols are structured the way they are, and why IRBs/REBs make
the decisions they do.  In short, we will learn about the context that
each other are coming from and work more effectively together.

Workgroup meetings will meet once a month via toll-free teleconference
call, and commence in January 2008. If you are interested in serving
on such a workgroup, please send me an email describing your
background, and why you're interested in serving on the work group no
later than December 7, 2007. We will be letting people know in
mid-December about next steps for the workgroup.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you once again for
your interest!

Best regards,

Kristine

Kristine Wong
Program Director
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health
UW Box 354809
Seattle, WA 98195-4809
Phone: 206.543.7954
Fax:   206.685.6747
Email: kristine at u.washington.edu
Web:   www.ccph.info

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health promotes health (broadly defined)
through partnerships between communities and higher educational
institutions.
Become a member today at www.ccph.info

Celebrating a Decade of Transforming Communities & Higher Education,
1997-2007