Progressive Technology Project December Community Organizing Resource Network E-Newsletter

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 16 19:53:26 CST 2007

From: "Arif Mamdani" <arif at progressivetech.org>

Gearing up for 2008

As 2007 winds down, PTP is busy gearing up for 2008. Here’s what we’ve
got cooking for 2008 – follow the links for more details and information
on how to register.

Two TechCamps for 2008 – June and August! The June TechCamp will be held
in Minnesota and will be offered in English. The August TechCamp will be
offered in Spanish – location TBD.

Community Organizing and Technology Institute – COaTI – is our core
training program. In years past, we’ve run COaTI with cohorts of 15
organizations going through 3 sessions over a 9 month cycle. In 2008,
we’re unplugging COaTI by opening enrollment and easing our requirements
for attendance at all sessions. The first COaTI session will be held in
March and will cover technology assessment, planning, and database
systems. Session two will be held in May and will cover online
communications, graphics tools, and training. Location: TBD.

Basic Voter Data Skills – we hear there’s an election happening in 2008.
We also hear that a lot of you folks are planning on using the election
as a way to talk to voters about your issues and build your membership
base. Of course, talking is easy – tracking who is and isn’t a voter,
who you’ve registered, and who you’ve contacted takes a bit more work
and some voter data.
That’s where the Basic Voter Data Skills training comes in – if you’re
the accidental tech person at your organization who will be wrestling
with voter data in 2008, this training is for you. Please note that this
isn’t basic database training – we assume that you already have a level
of comfort using your organization’s database, designing and running
queries, and generating reports. If you’re looking for basic database
skills, check out PTP’s TechCamp.

PTP charges tuition for our programs. This year, in an effort to help
more organizations make the most of training funds, we may be able to
offer partial scholarships for community-led organizations who fit
within our mission and with whom we share a funder.
We’ll be officially opening these programs in early January. We expect
them to fill fast, so if you’re interested, fill out our Training
Interest Form and let us know which trainings you’d be interested in
attending.

Useful Links :

Below are links to some of the things we've found useful or interesting:

* 10 things every nonprofit executive needs to know about IT. Read more
* MySpace Users more policitcally engaged than general population?
Maybe. Read more

Announcing PTP’s Voter TechKit

After a long soft-launch period, we are pleased to announce the
immediate availability of PTP’s new Voter TechKit. Available online for
free at http://votertechkit.progressivetech.org, or for purchase as a
download or book, PTP’s Voter TechKit is a comprehensive collection of
information related to how community organizers around the country are
integrating voter work with their community organizing work. Starting
with an overview of the intersection between community organizing and
voter engagement, the TechKit goes on to share hard-won experiences and
information about best practices in campaign planning, targeting,
messaging, and managing voter data.

If you’re an organizer with questions about how your organization can
best design and implement a voter engagement effort, the TechKit is for
you. Check it out now at http://votertechkit.progressivetech.org.
We’d love your feedback on the TechKit – every page features a feedback
link, and the first 25 people to give us feedback will be entered into a
drawing to win a 2 GB iPod Nano.
You have received this e-mail from the Progressive Technology Project as
part of our on-going communications program with community organizing
groups. Please forward this to anyone else you know who may be
interested in this newsletter. If you received this newsletter from
someone else, and you would like to receive your own copy in the future,
send an e-mail to info at progressivetech.org. Please include your contact
and organizational information.

Click unsubscribe to be removed from our email newsletter list.

PROGRESSIVE TECHNOLOGY PROJECT | 2801 21st Avenue S Suite 132E |
Minneapolis, MN 55407 |
(612) 724-2600 | Toll Free: 1-866-298-6463 | INFO @PROGRESSIVETECH.ORG

This newsletter is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license