query: teaching organizing in little time

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 16 19:51:23 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Ben for continuing the conversation.]

From: benshepard at mindspring.com

Thank you for this.
I really appreciate this discussion.

I like to start such classes asking students,
what community means to them, and how have they
gone about creating community in their own lives.

People reflect on some good stuff.

In another early session, i like to ask students why
people are poor?

And then ask what we can do about it.

Here we link structural problems with macro solutions.
And students realize they really know this stuff.  THey
just need to connect a few dots.  The fun part is working
through the material with the students so they discover
some of their insights into building communities and battling
alienation.

Thanks for this great discussion y'all.