query: teaching organizing in little time

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 14 12:00:46 CST 2007

[ed: thanks to Chris for responding to Aaron's query.]

From: "Chris Cavanagh" <story at web.ca>

Aaron,

i want to add, from the different (albeit overlapping) tradition of
popular education, to the great responses you are getting. One way that
i like to start a session on the type of thing you are describing is to
draw out where people are at to begin with. In your case, i would ask
something like, "how do you think social change happens?" How you
structure the asking and the answering, as it were, is key. You could
just do a quick go-around, of course. But i find giving a little more
structure/guidance to be worthwhile. So, a quick pairs discussion ( i.e.
5 minutes) from which you ask every pair to share one response is both
quick and illuminating. From this you get at least a sense of what
people are bringing into the room. Or, depending on time of course, you
could structure something more complex, in which in pairs or threes you
ask everyone to share one anecdote/account/example of social change that
they've heard about or been involved in. You ask them to record each
contribution on stickie notes in the form of a headline (urging them to
use a bit of humour can always be nice - e.g. write a sensationalistic
tabloid headline) and for the report back each person who has a stickie
to share posts it on a wall with each subsequent person clustering
theirs with other contributions with which they connect. The clusters
then reveal certain patterns that you can name, examine, unpack, etc.
The first thing i describe can be done in 15 minutes while the stickie
note thing takes no less than 30 minutes and can take as much as an
hour. What these exercises are all about is drawing out people's
experience and common sense about the matter at hand. I affirm Amy's
question "What do you mean by community organizing?" which is important
to be clear about. But, at a minimum, i assume we agree that it is about
social change. And everyone has an opinion about how social change
happens. But common sense, of course, is ever and always that messy mix
of good sense, bad sense and nonsense. I find that the more you can
problematize people's common sense the more likely it is that they'll be
able to connect whatever new it is you have to impart. The challenge of
our education work, i would say (whether that done within community
organizing or the popular education work that happens around the world)
is to critique the bad sense that we all have in abundance, affirm the
good sense and develop even better sense (as for nonsense, welll...
sometimes we just need to hang on to some of that for comic relief).
Common sense is a powerful and resilient thing. And failing to challenge
it usually means that people leave educational events and retain, for
the most part, those things that disturb their common sense the least.
Which usually means all the good shit we thought we got across is left
on the cutting room floor (just to mix metaphors there).

i'd love to hear how you end up applying the advice your getting from
this conversation. Keep us posted. Good luck.

peace

chris