job: organizer, New York, with salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 10 10:27:32 CST 2007

From: Ed Fowler <edfowler at neighborstogether.org>

Job Title: Community Organizer

Reports to: Ed Fowler, Executive Director

Salary Range: High $30,000’s annual, plus generous benefits

Job Description: Neighbors Together is a grassroots community-based
organization committed to ending hunger and poverty in the Ocean
Hill/Brownsville/Bedford-Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn. One of the largest
soup kitchens in New York City, we serve lunch and dinner to more than
400 people a day six days a week, and also offer case management services.

Neighbors Together is seeking a community organizer to coordinate our
Community Action Program which connects our clients and neighbors with
opportunities to work collectively to improve the lives of low-income
people throughout New York. The Community Action Board (CAB) is a group
of low-income people who meet regularly to work on social justice issues
affecting low-income people. Recent initiatives include advocating for
an increase in the state welfare grant, lobbying for universal health
care, and advocating for low-income people during the City and State
budget processes.

The community organizer will work closely with CAB members to train them
in leadership skills, increase membership, and develop stronger
connections to other organizing groups. This is a new position which
offers the opportunity to empower people in a neglected low-income
neighborhood.

Job Duties:

* Overall coordination of the Community Action Program and organizing
efforts at Neighbors Together
* Identify and mentor organizing leaders from our low-income community,
especially people coming to our soup kitchen
* Work with leaders of the Community Action Board to plan weekly CAB
meetings
* Expand CAB membership and increase the number of people involved in
community action
* Educate CAB members about oppressive social structures and related
public policies
* Network with New York City and State groups that are organizing around
issues important to our constituents and foster collaboration with these
groups
* Represent Neighbors Together at coalition meetings working on
anti-hunger and anti-poverty policies
* Collaborate with other Neighbors Together staff members to identify
potential CAB members, as well as to provide holistic support to our clients
* Actively participate in organizational planning with the 12-person
staff at Neighbors Together

Requirements:

* Experience community organizing and minimum of two years working with
low-income people required
* Bachelor’s Degree preferred; minimum Associate’s Degree required
* Ability to both understand and describe complex public policies
* Outgoing personality
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, organization,
interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from a variety of
backgrounds
* Facility with Microsoft programs and internet research
* Special interest in social justice and empowering low-income people,
especially people of color.

To apply: Email resume and cover letter to:

Ed Fowler, Executive Director

EdFowler at NeighborsTogether.org

In your cover letter please address leadership experience you’ve had as
well as what you’ve learned from working with coalitions addressing
social justice issues.

Since the vast majority of our constituents are African Americans from
low-income communities, Neighbors Together has a particular commitment
to the empowerment of this group. Please address in your cover letter
the reasons for your own commitment to empowering low-income African
Americans.