query: teaching organizing in little time

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 10 10:23:39 CST 2007

[ed:  thanks to Mindy, Michael, John, and David for replying to Aaron's
query.]

From: "Melinda Chateauvert" <mchateau at aasp.umd.edu>

I think teaching by example/case study, especially in a short amount of
time, is the most useful. The goal is to get participants to apply lessons
from the example to their own situations, and/or teach an analytical
framework that helps them interpret other organizing tales ("stories of
struggle") and learn from them as well.

I've been collecting these stories for quite awhile. 2 recent case studies
I've used that students (in a semester long course) really liked and
responded well to were:

Sam J. Miller, "Homeless Revolution" ShelterForce Online Issue #151, Fall
2007
http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/151/organize.html (although would require
reading ahead of time).

NOW with David Brancaccio "The Coalition of Immolakee Workers v. Taco Bell,"
from originally broadcast on PBS, May 27, 2005
http://www.pbs.org/now/society/ciw.html - which can be downloaded as DVD.
This is about 25 minutes in length, leaving time for dissecting, analysis
and discussion. Focuses on "iron triangle" strategies,
community-worker-student-church partnerships. Can be used to discuss how
race and racism configures media responses and movement leadership.

Mindy Chateauvert

********************

From: MBrown7387 at aol.com

Aaron, Great questions, I have done a basic community organizing
workshop for many years that in very little time that covers what you
mention.  It  goes over the differences between service, advocacy,
mobilizing and organizing -- and I often add: education, community
development and electoral politics.  I use a basic training  picture
which I draw with stick figures on flip charts with the "service
provider", "advocate" etc, and who s/he serves, advocates on behalf of
etc.   I have the "service provider" giving a "fish" to the "client".  I
ask for examples:  "Who does this?"  People get it pretty quickly.   I
focus on organizing by drawing a big box (with the organizer's stick
figure back to the group), depicting the boundaries and qualities of a
long-lasting organization (including money, members, leadership group,
rules, by-laws, legal status, issues, guidelines, values, groundrules,
etc) to show the differnces.  I cover this subject in my book, Building
Powerful Community Organizations, p. 279-298 which is not too much to
read and is in pretty simple terms, I think.  Hope that helps.  You can
call me as well, my number is 781 648 1508, and also in the book, Email:
MBrown7387 at aol.com   Michael Jacoby Brown, www.LongHaulPress.com

*******************

From: Joatlas at aol.com

I don't have any good ideas, but it's a great project. keep us informed.

John Atlas

President
National Housing Institute/Shelterforce Magazine
Nhi.org
74 Clinton Ave.
Montclair,NJ 07042
973-746-6239

From:  "David Koppisch" <DavidK at RHD.ORG>

Aaron - it looks like you are in Milwaukee. I would contact Milwaukee
Innercity Congregations Allied for Hope (MICAH). They are doing citywide
and regional organizing there. And should be able to help you.

David Koppisch
Community Organizer
Philadelphia, PA