tutor/mentor conference

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Apr 22 14:50:25 CDT 2007

From: "tutormentor1 at earthlink.net" <tutormentor1 at earthlink.net>

I work in Chicago and also focus on organizing networks of people to help
youth living in high poverty neighborhoods. I host a conference every May
and November, and an on-line directory of links to volunteer-based
tutor/mentor programs in Chicago.  The conference site is
http://www.tutormentorconference.org and the Program Locator can be found
at http://www.tutormentorconnection.org

In yesterday's Chicago Tribune was an article showing that Illinois ranks
29th in Adult Volunteering.  This is from a report this week published by
the Corporation for National and Community Service. You can find links to
the report on my http://tutormentor.blogspot.com blog.

When I talk about volunteer-based tutoring/mentoring, I aim to connect
people who are concerned about education, diversity, workforce development,
juvenile justice, crime prevention, civic engagement and community service
into one on-going conversation, with the Internet being the library where
we can all find the same research, and where we all can find places where
we can build a long-term involvement in efforts that help first graders be
starting first jobs 16 or 20 years after they enter school.

When I talk about learning, I'm not just talking about how kids learn, but
about how adults learn. If we can't increase the involvement of adults in
efforts to end poverty, end violence, and help poor kids prepared for 21st
century jobs, we really can do as much as is needed to help the millions of
kids in America who need extra help.

I hope that some of you who are from Chicago and the Midwest will take a
look at the agenda and speaker list on the conference web site and see that
there are many reasons for you to participate.

Daniel F. Bassill
President
Tutor/Mentor Connection
Cabrini Connections