query: Looking for support for organizing in New Bedford after massive raid

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 16 10:17:51 CDT 2007

[ed:  thanks to Robb for continuing the discussion.]

From: Robb Smith <robt_w_smith at yahoo.com>

I am the Research Director for Community Labor United, a partnership of
seven unions and ten base-building community organizations in Boston,
Massachusetts.  CLU works on joint community/labor campaigns to
increase the power of both sectors in the Greater Boston area.  We
recently released a statement on immigration that was provoked by the
New Bedford raid.  I have included it in-text below.  If you would like
a Word version of it, you can download it at www.massclu.org.  It was
recently published by a community newspaper in Boston.

Robb Smith

CLU's Statement on Immigration
How is it that a raid by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
Agency in the City of New Bedford, 60 miles away, has shaken so many
Boston residents, native-born and immigrant?  Media coverage of the
March 6th raid has focused on ICE’s inhumane treatment of detained
immigrant workers, and we also condemn that treatment. We are proud of
the unionized social workers who stood up on behalf of the workers
targeted for deportation.  But we want to call attention, further, to
concerns about the New Bedford raid that we have not seen addressed in
the media, and to the raid’s long-term impact on our local communities
and unions.

Community Labor United (CLU) is a partnership of seven Boston-area,
labor unions and ten community organizations that represent thousands
of low and moderate income people from the Greater Boston area.  CLU
represents Greater Boston residents of all ethnicities, ages and
backgrounds, including groups upholding worker wages and rights, as
well as groups addressing housing, health, environmental justice,
violence prevention and human rights.

We have experienced the March 6, 2007 raid on the Michael Bianco Inc.
factory as not only an unnecessary assault on a group of exploited
immigrant workers and their families but also as a threat to all
working people, regardless of immigration status.  The criminalization
of this segment of the Massachusetts workforce undermines our ability
to organize in our workplaces and communities, to work together for
decent wages, working and living conditions, and to uphold our civil
and human rights.  We believe this because:

The workers at the Michael Bianco factory, mostly women from Guatemala
and El Salvador, were arrested while trying to provide for their
families as any hard-working parent would.  They risked their lives
coming to the U.S. because they could not earn a living in their home
countries, largely due to trade agreements initiated by the United
States and wars in which the U.S. intervened.  Most native-born
Americans have immigrant ancestors who came to the U.S. from Ireland,
Italy and elsewhere for similar reasons—war, hunger and unemployment.
Some came with papers and many without--but at a time when there were
few restrictions on immigration.  We ask: Why are these immigrant
workers from Central America being criminalized and punished?

Workers in the Michael Bianco factory reported substandard wages and
working conditions; being docked pay or suspended for going to the
bathroom; health and safety law violations; non-payment of overtime and
other abuses.  These stories are all too familiar; we know firsthand
that immigrant workers in and around Boston are being abused in many
industries, from construction and cleaning to restaurants.  We ask: In
2007, why are people working under conditions that were unacceptable
100 years ago?

The City of New Bedford and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts provided
this company with over $50,000 in property tax breaks and even larger
state tax breaks.  Through a $138 million Department of Defense
contract, the Federal government has used our tax money to fund Michael
Bianco’s expansion.  We ask: Why have our local, state and federal
governments used our public dollars to exploit these workers without
any accountability or public outcry?

The U.S. has a long and sad history of racial fear dividing
native-born, slave and immigrant workers.  Chinese, Irish, Mexican and
African-American workers were excluded from many different parts of the
workforce.  Employers have often used migrant and immigrant workers to
break strikes and undercut wages.  The New Bedford raid by federal
agents, supported by state and local agencies, was the latest in a long
history of attempts to criminalize and scapegoat one group of workers,
and to force their families into the shadows of society.  Divisions
over race and immigration have undercut wages and living standards for
U.S. working people.  We ask: What do working people stand to lose when
this part of the workforce is so easily exploited and criminalized?

Finally, we strongly believe that there must be a moratorium on
immigration raids while our country works towards an immigration policy
that reflects the needs and concerns of all our communities.