query: community coaches

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 5 17:34:27 CDT 2007

[ed:  Cheryl continues the discussion.]

From: "Cheryl Honey" <wecare at familynetwork.org>

I got such a chuckle out of Carol's comments about the term "community
coach." We call our organizers "Community Weavers". No controversy with
that
term - in fact it's attracting a lot of attention. Community Weavers do not
have the power over gene of Alinsky, who's philosophy was to take back that
which was taken away. Weavers tend to give back to community to expand
capacity by tapping creative ingenious of participants to solve problems
within the capacity of the group. They organize to build social capital and
engage citizens to take responsibility for what they love. Some love
tutoring, others love to organize block parties, while others spearhead
social movements. I wrote a paper called Community Organizing: Past,
Present
and Future on the Comm-Org website. It describes the shift taking place in
community organizing. Robert Fisher wrote a book called, "Let the People
Decide" which describes how "the cause" shapes organizing efforts. John
McKnight's book "The Careless Society: Community and it's counterfeits" is
the impetus for my pioneering work of a social change method called
"Community Weaving" It's Chapter 42 of the Change Handbook (2nd Ed.)
published by Berrett-Koehler.  The "how to's" of community organizing is
shifting with the advent of technology. Move-on and NRDC are great examples
of "techno-organizing" efforts to affect change. You are right about how
some terms are more appealing than others. I just won the Jefferson Award
www.aips.org for my contribution to creating a more caring, just and civil
society through Community Weaving. It's really a community organizing
effort
with a lot of bells and whistles. The quandry I find myself in is I really
don't know what to call myself. Organizer, activist, peacekeeper or a
creative who finally found an outlet to express what has meaning to me.
Weaving community a new consciousness of people who consume less and share
more and provide a sanctuary where my children will be cared about. That's
my motivation. Appreciate how you sparked this dialogue. \

Cheryl Honey
Master Weaver & 2007 Jefferson Award winner
Bothell, WA
www.familynetwork.org
www.communityweaving.org