Making Waves Special Edition - "Growing Hope"

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 19 21:18:12 CDT 2006

From: Don McNair <mcnair at cedworks.com>

The summer 2006 edition of "Making Waves: Canada's Community Economic
Development Magazine" is all about rebuilding our ailing food system.
"Growing Hope" presents salient issues, opportunities, and initiatives
in order to challenge social entrepreneurs to intervene far more
strategically in the food production and distribution sectors.

Find a summary of the contents below. To view content in PDF, request a
trial copy, or subscribe, go to www.cedworks.com/waves.html
<http://www.cedworks.com/waves.html>.

Apologies for cross-postings. A French-language version of this edition
will also be available shortly.

CONTENTS

WHY FOOD? WHY NOW?
Our food system has come to be all about efficiency, quantity, and
economy - not health, employment, environment, and self-reliance. It's
time to identify the real issues, the real opportunities, the real
difficulties - and to start building a /real/ food system.

PLOTTING THE FUTURE OF FOOD
Rather than look for a technological, corporate-driven solution to our
food crisis, advocates of the Ecological Paradigm propose something more
dramatic: making the food system integrate with the life of natural and
human communities.

KAUAI FRESH
Dependency is giving way to capacity and partnerships as a food bank on
Kauai gives its charitable activities an entrepreneurial edge.

A TASTE OF THE FUTURE
In Québec, the social justice organization Équiterre has been carving
out a market for local, organic, and community-supported food.

BUILDING THE ECOLOGICAL FOOD SYSTEM
FoodShare Toronto has grown into a champion of community-led initiatives
in food preparation, education, enterprise, and public policy.

CANADA'S CONSCIOUS CONSUMERS
Each of the seven major trends in consumers' food preferences represent
a wave that social entrepreneurs can ride into the future.

THE HIGH ROAD TO FOOD SECURITY
Policy is one arena for advocates of a sustainable, responsible food
system - but its success will hinge on their ability to make it real in
the marketplace.

FIGHTING FOR THE FARM
There will be no resolution to the crisis in our food system unless
farmers' interests and perspectives are taken fully into account.

GETTING /REAL/ ABOUT FOOD
With a revised federal Agricultural Policy Framework in the works, a
prime opportunity beckons to impress the values and insights of the
Ecological Paradigm on our policy-makers.

Don McNair
Making Waves: Canada's CED Magazine
Visit the CED DIGITAL BOOKSHOP at www.cedworks.com
<http://www.cedworks.com/>!
Centre for Community Enterprise
1601 - 25th Avenue, Vernon, B.C. V1T 1M8 CANADA
direct line 250-542-7057 customer service (toll-free) 1-888-255-6779