query: getting access to schools

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri May 12 13:17:39 CDT 2006

[ed:  please feel welcomed to copy COMM-ORG with responses to Herb's query.]

From: "Herbert Rubin" <hrubin at niu.edu>

I got a call from a leader in a peace group in an adjacent town about a
problem they are facing with school board that is not allowing them
access to
the local high school.  I didn't have an answer;  any help would be
appreciated,  probably best sent privately to hrubin at niu.edu

Here's the situation:  The military, by law, has access to high school
students and has set up a table in the high school for recruitment. The
local peace group wants parallel access, asked and was stonewalled by the
school board. The board claims that the law requires military access
(that's
correct), that the campus is a closed campus, and in any case it does not
want political commentary.  (And then claimed that the military is non
political).

Any ideas (better yet precedents of how access to high schools were
obtained
by Peace Groups) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Herb Rubin