jobs: union research analysts, various
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon May 8 14:08:32 CDT 2006
From: "David Dolecki" <ddolecki at unitehere.org>
RESEARCH ANALYSTS/CAMPAIGN RESEARCHERS: Atlantic City, NJ; Canada
(Montreal, Toronto); Chicago, IL; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA;
Mississippi; New York City, NY; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San
Juan, PR; and Washington, DC.
UNITE HERE is currently recruiting full-time Research Analysts/ Campaign
Researchers to conduct research and develop strategy in support of
campaigns to win justice and better treatment for workers in low-wage,
service sector jobs throughout North America.
UNITE HERE is leading the fight to organize hundreds of thousands of
low-wage workers –- many of them African-Americans, Latino and Asian
immigrants, and women - in hotels, casinos, industrial laundries,
institutional cafeterias, airport concessions, and apparel
manufacturing, distribution, and retail facilities. Our union, with over
400,000 members, is at the forefront of battles for workers rights,
immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs in many cities
throughout North America. UNITE HERE needs many more talented
researchers to join in the struggle to organize the unorganized in these
Positions are available in several major cities throughout the United
States and Canada. Some positions are with the International Union, and
some are with Local Unions/Affiliates.
. Currently available positions include:
* Los Angeles, CA: Research Analyst with the International Union to
develop campaigns in the healthcare laundries division.
* Washington, DC: Research Analyst positions with the International
Union to work on hotel workers campaign and in capital strategies.
* Chicago: Senior Research Analyst and Research Analyst positions with
the International Union to develop national campaign in casinos and
* Las Vegas, NV: Research Analyst position with the largest local
affiliate of UNITE HERE, the Culinary Workers Union Local 226, which
represents almost 60,000 workers in the gaming, food service and laundry
industries, to work on campaigns to organize non-union workers and
continue to improve the standards for existing members.
* NYC: Several Research Analyst and Senior Research Analyst positions
with the International Union, researching and developing campaigns in
the food service, airport, laundry, and apparel industries.
* San Juan, PR: Research Analyst position with UNITE HERE Local 610 to
help in organizing the unorganized and building power for hotel workers.
Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
* San Diego, CA: Research Analyst position with UNITE HERE Local 30,
which is committed to organizing the unorganized and building the power
of workers in San Diego.
* Canada (Montreal, Toronto): Research Analyst positions with UNITE HERE
International Union working on projects to organize non-union workers
and to continue to improve the standards for existing members.
* Atlantic City, NJ: Research Analyst position with UNITE HERE
International Union working on organizing projects in the gaming industry.
* Mississippi: Research Analyst position with UNITE HERE International
Union working on organizing projects in the gaming industry.
Qualifications for International Union Research Analyst positions include:
· Commitment to fighting for justice for low-wage workers
· BA Degree, preferably in economics, business or labor studies or
relevant research and/or organizing experience (labor, political or
· Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal skills
· Creativity, dedication, and motivation
· Willingness to travel and to work long hours
· Familiarity with database and word processing software
· Ability to effectively manage a caseload with competing priorities and
Research Analyst job responsibilities (International Union) include:
* Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including
published databases, on-line and Internet sources as well as
informational interviews with union, industry and financial sources
* Conduct local and field research on companies and industries.
* Develop corporate analysis and adapt it for various audiences (e.g.
staff, workers, stockholders, the public)
* Develop and implement campaign strategies and tactics
* Develop expertise in certain key UNITE HERE industries
* Interact with workers on organizing and contract campaigns
* Work with UNITE HERE organizers, regional staff and elected leaders
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply. Current
UNITE HERE campaign researchers have worked in the past as community and
union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers
elsewhere. Some positions may require substantial travel. Salary is
commensurate with experience. Positions include excellent benefits.
Please complete on-line application information (including résumé and
cover letter) at www.unitehere.org/jobs/application.asp.
To receive periodic job announcements and news about UNITE HERE, visit
www.unitehere.org and sign up to become an e-activist.
More information about the Colist