query: Immigrant/Hispanic organizing

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue May 2 13:17:56 CDT 2006

Hi COMM-ORG,

I find it interesting, given the intensity of immigrant/Hispanic
organizing going on the last couple of months, that we haven't really
talked about it on COMM-ORG.  I want to see if we might correct that
omission.  Because I am really quite amazed.  I was in California two
months ago, and among my conversations was one with people who were
supporting a day labor center and organizing locally against the
Sensenbrenner bill.  While they were hopeful, I didn't get the sense
they were expecting the enormous impact we have seen in the last couple
of months.

One of the things that amazes me the most is the willingness of
undocumented people to participate in the political process.  I remember
15 years ago, when I was working on an edited collection about the
process that we now call community-based research.  One of the papers
described the challenges of trying to do "participatory research" with
undocumented immigrants, who feared any public exposure.  Something has
clearly changed in the intervening years, or at least that is how it
seems to me.

So I invite the discussion.  Have things changed?  If so, what has
changed?  Has the growing emphasis on immigrant organizing had an
impact?  Have pure demographics made immigrant organizing inevitable?
Is this just a crisis moment and as soon as the crisis passes the
organizing will too?  And what are we learning about what works and what
doesn't?

Randy Stoecker,
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG
rstoecker at wisc.edu