job: organizing coordinator, NY

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Jun 25 10:18:28 CDT 2006

    From: Sondra Youdelman <sondra at cvhaction.org>

CVH WESTCHESTER ORGANIZING COORDINATOR &
VOTER ENGAGEMENT PROJECT UPSTATE FIELD DIRECTOR

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
CVH is a 12 year-old membership organization of low-income people based
in NYC and presently expanding to Upstate NY areas.  We work on economic
justice, job creation, welfare, housing and access to education and
training services.    We are seeking to hire an experienced organizer
to: (1) coordinate organizing efforts in Yonkers and potentially two
other areas in the state (mid-Hudson Valley), and (2) manage voter
outreach staff for our Upstate Voter Engagement Project.  This is a
non-partisan voter engagement project that is geographically based and
has the dual goals of increasing turnout in low-income communities and
building a base of power to move forward our economic justice public
policy proposals at the state level.

JOB DESCRIPTION:
CVH recently completed a three-month assessment process to lay the
foundation for building a base of CVH members in Westchester County.
The responsibilities of the position will include:  (1) To build on the
initial organizing efforts that began in February in Westchester County
and develop leadership in the low-income areas of Yonkers and
potentially two other areas in the County.  Responsibilities include:
base-building and leadership development through door-knocking,
one-on-ones, outreach to CBO’s, and leadership trainings.  (2) Issue ID,
development of an organizing campaign and base of leaders to participate
in strategy meetings, actions, and other organizing campaign activities.
  (3) Manage a staff of 5 voter outreachers from August 15, 2006 to
November 7, 2006. Develop messages, materials and a voter outreach
strategy with the goal of increasing voter turnout in low-income
communities of Yonkers and beyond.  Electoral outreach will be
non-partisan.  The Westchester Organizing Coordinator will be
responsible for working with the outreach staff to meet concrete goals
in door-to-door contacts and coordinating GOTV efforts in Westchester
for both the September 2006 Primary and the November 2006 General
Election.

POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This is a full-time, temporary position that begins on July 1, 2006 and
lasts until December 1, 2006 – with potential to move into a permanent
position at CVH.  The Westchester Organizing Coordinator will work as
part of a staff team that includes the CVH Voter Engagement Director and
Executive Director. The supervisor for this position will be the CVH
Voter Engagement Director.

SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary commensurate with experience.  Travel reimbursement and cell
phone reimbursement included. Should the position move to permanent, a
broader group of benefits are added: health care, dental, life
insurance, 403(b) plan, sabbatical, etc.

QUALIFICATIONS:
Minimum 2 years in a community or electoral organizing in a setting that
included base-building, door-knocking, leadership development,
mobilization, and strategy development.  Hard working, willing to work
long hours including weekends and weekend nights. Ability to manage a
diverse set of tasks. Spanish speaking is strongly desired, but not
required.  Driver’s license and car strongly recommended. Applicants
must be committed to CVH’s ideology of building community power and
share our commitment to membership grassroots decision-making, radical
politics and our analysis of power.

CVH is equal opportunity employer; we strongly encourage women and
people of color, LGBT, low-income, immigrants and people with experience
with public assistance to apply for this position.

Resume and Cover Letter Should Be Sent to: Henry Serrano, CVH Voter
Engagement Director. CVH, 170 E. 116th St. Suite 1E, NY, NY 10029; email
to henry at cvhaction.org or fax to (212) 996-9481.  For more information
about CVH check out our web page – www.cvhaction.org.