query: organizing across languages

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 31 21:48:09 CST 2005

[ed:  thanks to Barb for replying to Sarah's query.]

From: Barbara.Stuart at colorado.edu

What a thoughtful and difficult question. We prepared simple handouts and
comic books with images, translated into the languages in use.  We even made
them in braille. Used as a starting point, what we took to be generally
agreed
upon principles were circulated and then percolated issues by culture, and
sometimes by language (mistakes/misunderstandings?!). People compared across
languages, especially English. They flew out of the office, by the
thousands.

Best,
Barb Stuart