job: organizer, New York

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 25 09:54:03 CDT 2005

[ed: this job post includes salary info.]

From: "dara silverman" <dara at riseup.net>

**Please forward widely to lists, colleagues, and friends**

Jews for Racial & Economic Justice

Position Available

Community Organizer

Please Post

Jews for Racial & Economic Justice (JFREJ) is seeking a full-time
Community Organizer to build our membership and campaign work,
specifically focusing on our work with synagogues and Jewish
communities. JFREJ is a membership-based organizing group that fights
for racial, social, economic and gender justice in New York City. JFREJ
was founded in 1990 to fill the need for progressive Jewish leadership
in confronting the growing racial and ethnic tension and economic
disparity within New York City. Utilizing community organizing,
political education and media advocacy, we educate ourselves and others
in our effort to end all forms of hatred and oppression. Our work
provides a unique opportunity for Jews in New York to build a Jewish
identity with justice at its core. Currently, our work focuses on two
primary campaigns:
-- Shalom Bayit: Justice for Domestic Workers- organizing synagogues and
Jewish communities to support fair wages, human rights and respect for
nannies, house-keepers and other domestic workers;
-- the Jewish Immigrant Justice Initiative- working in solidarity with
all immigrants and organizing Jewish immigrants to fight for change in
their lives and communities.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

• Schedule a minimum of 5 one-to-one meetings per week.

• Complete an additional 5 hours per week of outreach through house
meetings, public events, etc.

• Build relationships with diverse Jewish communities.

• Organize community building and recruitment events, including
membership orientations and Jewish holiday events.

• Work closely with the Shalom Bayit: Justice for Domestic Workers
campaign to create campaign goals, strategies and timelines. Support
members implementation of campaign strategy.

• Engage synagogues from across New York and Westchester County in
building stronger social justice programs, partnerships between
synagogues and support for domestic workers rights.

• Work with rabbis, and the JFREJ Rabbinical Council to support the
development of their congregations in the area of social justice

• Represent JFREJ to other community groups, coalitions and the media.

• Develop campaign materials, including fact sheets, statements and
press releases.

Qualifications:

• 3 to 5 years experience in community, union, electoral or advocacy
organizing

• Experience working in Jewish communities

• Strong commitment to struggle for racial, economic and gender justice
and to JFREJ’s mission

• Ability to communicate, motivate and listen

• Good facilitation and writing skills

• Well-organized and able to manage details efficiently
• Ability to work effectively with multiple priorities
• Ability to work independently and with supervision, as well as being
an enthusiastic team player

• Supervision experience preferred

• Desire to learn and openness to challenge
• Computer proficiency, including MS Office, web skills, and internet
research tools
• Familiarity with Microsoft Access preferred

Sephardic Jews, Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, transgender,
transsexual, intersex people, people with disabilities, immigrants,
lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer people and people who have lived in
poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.

Start Date: Monday, December 5, 2005

Hours:

Schedule requires flexibility including evening and Sunday hours.
Shabbat and Jewish holiday observance is respected and will be accommodated.

Salary and Benefits:

$30,000- $34,000 based on experience. Position includes health, dental,
subway pass and vacation time. We are planning to join a pension fund in
2006.

To Apply:

Please send cover letter, resume and two references to dara at jfrej.org by
Friday, November 4th at 5pm. In the subject line put: organizer search
or mail to the address below:

Organizer Search

JFREJ

135 W. 29th St. Suite 600

New York NY 10001

dara at jfrej.org

--

Dara Silverman

Director

JFREJ- Jews for Racial and Economic Justice

135 W. 29th St Suite 600

NY NY 10001

212-647-8966 x13

dara at jfrej.org

Save the dates:

**Sunday, November 13th, 2005**

Beyond the Pale 10th Anniversary Celebration for JFREJ's Award-Winning
Radio Show

12-2pm Live radio broadcast

***Thursday, December 8th, 2005***

JFREJ's 9th Annual Rabbi Marshall T. Meyer

Risk-Taker Awards

6pm reception, 7pm program

Hosted by Kate Clinton

For more information, www.jfrej.org