job: academic, Chicago

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 20 13:21:28 CDT 2005

From:     Susan Stall <s-stall1 at neiu.edu>

Northeastern Illinois University: The Sociology Department invites
applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position.  We are
particularly interested in candidates who can teach undergraduate
courses in theory, stratification, and urban sociology.  The successful
candidate should have an urban framework for research and teaching
sociology classes that contributes to the Department's emphasis on
public sociology.  The candidate should also demonstrate a community
orientation and commitment with a view to enhancing and deepening debate
about social trends and societal changes. The successful candidate may
also be asked to participate in the NEIU First Year Experience program.
Our Department has a close working relationship with the Women's
Studies, Latino and Latin American Studies, and African and
African-American Studies Programs at Northeastern.  Northeastern
Illinois University is a comprehensive state university of 12,000
commuter students located on a 67-acre campus in a residential
neighborhood on the northwest side of Chicago.  Along with quality
academic programming consistent with the University's mission of
excellence and access, the University is known for support of the fine
arts, global education opportunities for students, and leadership in
teacher preparation and education. Northeastern is nationally recognized
as having the most ethnically diverse student body in the Midwest.  Send
letter of application, transcript, curriculum vitae with current e-mail
address, statement of teaching philosophy and research plan or copies of
published research if available, and three letters of reference (at
least one addressing teaching effectiveness) to Dr. Susan Stall, Chair,
Search & Screen Committee, email s-stall1 at neiu.edu. Northeastern
Illinois University, 5500 N. St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625-4699.
Electronic submissions are welcome. Appointment begins August 2006.
Additional information is available at www.neiu.edu.  Review of
applications begins December 1, 2005.  Women and minority candidates are
especially encouraged to apply. AA/EOE.