New Orleans ACORN Organizer wins RFK Human Rights Award

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 8 08:21:45 CDT 2005

[ed:  congratulations to Stephen and ACORN.

From:
"ACORN News" <acornnews at acorn.org>

     New Orleans ACORN Organizer wins RFK Human Rights Award

            Stephen Bradberry, the Head Organizer of ACORN's New Orleans
chapter

      On Tuesday, October 4th, the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial announced
that it will award its 2005 Human Rights Award to Stephen Bradberry, the
Head Organizer of ACORN's New Orleans chapter.

      As an ACORN organizer, Bradberry has fought to protect the
economic, political, and social rights of our member communities through
campaigns targeted at increasing voter participation, preventing
predatory lending, and preventing lead poisoning in children.

      Since Hurricane Katrina, Bradberry and the staff and members of
New Orleans ACORN have been organizing survivors of the Hurricane from
temporary offices in Baton Rouge. They are fighting for a rebuilding
plan that will allow people, especially residents in the lower 9th Ward,
to return home soon, and live in a stronger and better community.

      The Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award was established in 1984
to honor courageous and innovative individuals striving for social
justice throughout the world.

      From the Press Release:

      ON RFK'S 80TH BIRTHDAY, NEW ORLEANS ACTIVIST TO BE PRESENTED RFK
HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD
      Stephen Bradberry to be Awarded For Protecting the Rights of Low
and Middle Income Families in New Orleans as Part of Program to
Commemorate Robert F. Kennedy's 80th Birthday

      Washington, D.C.   --   This November, Robert F. Kennedy would
have celebrated his 80th Birthday. In honor of this occasion, the Robert
F. Kennedy Memorial will present a program of events on November 16th to
celebrate RFK's life and legacy including a special tribute at the
annual Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award Ceremony.

      The 2005 Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award will be presented to
Stephen Bradberry, the Lead Organizer of the New Orleans chapter of
ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now), the
nation's largest community organization of low- and moderate-income
families working together for social justice and stronger communities.
The award ceremony will take place in the Caucus Room of the Russell
Senate Office Building at on November 16th at 10:30 a.m.

      At a time when our nation is faced with hard questions about the
role of government and the realities of poverty, Stephen Bradberry has
become a voice for the low income communities of New Orleans. Even
before Katrina devastated the city, one in every four people of New
Orleans lived below the federally recognized poverty line. Stephen has
fought to protect the economic, political, and social rights of these
often forgotten citizens through campaigns targeted at promoting a
living wage, preventing predatory lending, preventing lead poisoning in
children, and increasing voter participation.

      Securing a place for the concerns of low income communities in
government projects was essential to Robert Kennedy's vision of social
justice. In a speech in 1966 RFK said that, "[i]t has been a long time
since leadership in this country has spoken to the poor and tried to
understand the problem of their existence." Kennedy noted that even
though government officials may not like working with community leaders,
"the price of their discontent may be progress- and stronger and safer
communities for our children and ourselves."

      This wisdom has become even more meaningful in the wake of
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, as the federal government and the American
people are forced to recognize the insecurity faced by America's low
income communities and the need for change. Stephen Bradberry's work
with ACORN exemplifies RFK's vision of community leadership....

      The Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award ceremony marks the
beginning of a long-term partnership between the Stephen and the RFK
Center for Human Rights that will put the rights of low income families
on the national agenda.

      Speakers for the event will be determined and the location is
subject to change. Please go to www.rfkmemorial.org for the latest
information on the event.

      Source: Robert F. Kennedy Memorial

        "...if men are to be free for that "pursuit of happiness", which
was the earliest promise of the American nation- we will need more than
poverty programs, housing programs, and employment programs, although we
need all of these. We will need an outpouring of imagination, ingenuity,
discipline and hard work unmatched since the first adventurers set out
to conquer the wilderness. For the problem is the largest we've ever
known."

        -- Robert F. Kennedy, December 10th 1966