job: ED, Portland Schools Alliance

colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Thu May 5 16:06:10 CDT 2005

[ed: this job post includes salary info. It's lateness in posting is my
fault, not Kristina's.]

From: Kristina Smock <ksalliance at hevanet.com>

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

PORTLAND SCHOOLS ALLIANCE

The Portland Schools Alliance is a community-based network of parents,
teachers, and principals working to strengthen public education for all
children. We use community organizing to build relationships, develop
parents and students as leaders within their schools, create shared
power between educators and parents, and change policies and practices
to ensure that all children receive a quality education.

PSA works in elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the
Portland Public School district to engage parents as leaders and to
empower groups of parents to address issues of common concern. Through
this process, we aim to transform the culture of each school by building
partnerships among parents, teachers, and staff. We also bring parents
together from different schools to take collective action in order to
change policies that will improve our schools and public education. Our
policy work currently focuses on closing the achievement gap for
immigrant students, low-income students, and students of color.

We are committed to developing the leadership and voice of historically
disenfranchised parents and students, building enduring power, and
creating a diverse and inclusive organization.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

Organizing

· Work with the Leadership Team and senior organizing staff to set the
strategic direction for PSA’s organizing work

· Train, mentor, and supervise organizing staff

· Work with senior organizing staff to plan and oversee organizing
initiatives and campaigns at both the school and policy levels

· Negotiate relationships with new schools and partner organizations

· Develop and maintain good relationships with allies, partners, key
decision-makers, and Portland Public Schools

· Develop and lead training workshops

Fundraising:

· Develop and implement an annual plan to ensure foundation, individual,
and other financial support for the immediate and long-term health and
growth of the organization

· Develop and maintain ongoing relationship with major donors
(individuals and foundations)

· Write grant proposals and reports, and maintain accountability to funders

· Develop and implement events as appropriate

· Work with the Board to develop new areas of financial support

Management and Governance

· With the Board and Leadership Team, set the direction for the organization

· Oversee long range planning and organizational development

· Maintain strong communication with the Board and Leadership Team

· Assist in the ongoing leadership development of the Board and
Leadership Team

· Hire, train, manage and develop organizing and administrative staff

Finance and Operations

· Prepare and monitor annual budget

· Ensure positive cash flow and fiscal viability

· Develop and implement sound fiscal policies

· Oversee day to day financial administration

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required:

· Commitment to all children having the capacity to succeed in school

· Experience with and understanding of community organizing

· 3 -5 years experience at a senior level or director of a community
based organization

· Experience working with diverse communities of class and culture

· Experience in fundraising for organizations with budgets of $150,000 -
$500,000

· Financial management skills

· Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills,
including computer proficiency

· Proven ability to supervise, support, and develop staff and parent leaders

Preferred:

· Bilingual Spanish/ English

· Working knowledge of urban public schools

· Bi-cultural

· People of color and women strongly encouraged to apply

SALARY

Salary range (FTE) is $42,000 to $52,000 with medical insurance.

TO APPLY

To apply, send resume and cover letter by mail or email to: Portland
Schools Alliance, 3534 SE Main, Portland, OR 97214. E-MAIL:
ksalliance at hevanet.com

Position open until filled. We will begin reviewing applications on May
2, 2005.

Kristina Smock, Interim Director

Portland Schools Alliance

3534 SE Main St, Portland OR 97214