New COMM-ORG paper: A Collective Recruitment Plan is Needed for Community Organizers

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 28 11:23:46 CST 2005

[ed:  thanks to Kathy for continuing the discussion on Joe's paper.]

From: Kathy Partridge <interfaithfunders at yahoo.com>

I apppreciate Joe Szakos' thoughtful article, just what you would expect
from such a seasoned and experienced practitioner of community organizing.

  As a funder of CO (years with Needmor, now coordinator of Interfaith
Funders) I observed the problem of organizer recruitment and retention
over and over.  In addition to the burnout of organizers and other
problematic results listed by Joe, I saw over and over the financial
devastation to organizations when new organizers didn't work out.
Often, the significant resources sunk into an unsuccessful hire would
stagger an organization, especially those with the smallest staffs and
budgets.

  Therefore, I favor those training programs where the cost is spread
around the field.  An example that comes to mind is the VISTA program of
the late 70s, with training run by the Midwest Academy.  I often run
into other folks from that cohort, who made organizing and related
fields their life's work.  While a publicly-supported organizer training
ground like that era of VISTA seems a fantasy in the new political
climate, perhaps some visionary efforts to recreate such a pool of
trained labor.

  For instance, in the last election efforts like the New Voter Project
hired hundreds of young people to do voter registration.  I know -- this
included my own daughter, who was a top recruiter here in Colorado.
These kids worked hard, and got jazzed.  However, if anyone attempted to
recruit them for organizing careers, I missed it.  They certainly didn't
call my daughter!

  I look forward to hearing other comments and experiences related to
Joe's paper -- and send him my congratulations for a timely and
important publication.

  Kathy Partridge
  interfaithfunders at yahoo.com