ACORN: help rebuild New Orleans

colist at comm-org.wisc.edu colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 25 11:17:24 CST 2005

[ed:  note that the links do not work in this message.]

From: "ACORN News" <news at acorn.org>

Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now
www.acorn.org
Help Rebuild New Orleans!

An ACORN crew cleans a damaged home.

In the months since Hurricane Katrina, ACORN has worked to serve the
needs of our 9,000-plus New Orleans member families, while organizing
the ACORN Katrina Survivors Association around the country to fight for
a voice in the recovery process. Now, ACORN is back in New Orleans --
our main office will re-open January 1st -- and we have started the Home
Clean-out Demonstration Program to clean and stabilize homes in our
neighborhoods, even as we fight for a comprehensive rebuilding plan.

The ACORN Home Clean-out Demonstration Program's work crews are cleaning
up trash, ripping out drywall, and putting tarps on roofs before the
winter rains to prevent further deterioration, with the goal of cleaning
1,000 homes at a cost of $2,500 a piece. We can't save New Orleans on
our own--but we can preserve the homes of many families, and show
policymakers that the people of New Orleans are coming home to rebuild
and that we will not let our communities be left behind. You can help:
Please contribute or volunteer today.

One of the first houses cleaned and preserved by ACORN.

1. Donate
You can help rebuild New Orleans by donating to the ACORN Hurricane
Recovery and Rebuilding Fund.

    * $25,000 Bring back a block: Clean and save 10 houses.
    * $2,500 Fix one house.
    * $1,250 Provide half the cost of a house fix-up.
    * $500 Tarp a damaged roof.
    * $250 Remove debris and damaged trees from one property.
    * $125 Pay for a day of community organizing and outreach.
    * $50 Fuel the ACORN Mobile Action Van for a day of work.

Click here to donate, or tax-deductible checks can be sent to: ACORN
Institute - Hurricane Recovery and Rebuilding Fund, 739 8th Street SE,
Washington, DC 20003.

2. Volunteer
Volunteers can assist in the Home Clean-out Demonstration Program during
the months of January and March (some other dates are also possible).
The work will be physically demanding; accommodations will be modest.
Building professionals will provide training and safety equipment.
(Volunteers with construction and contracting skills are especially
welcome.) For more information contact Diana Winingder at
rebuild at acorn.org or (713) 875-6069.